Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2002 LC Prado KDJ95L Auto D-4D engine

thiago

Country Flag
brazil
Hi guys,

This is my first post and I'm in the process of acquiring a LC Prado MY 2002, but I'm a bit concerned as it was imported directly from Japan (model is not officially offered here in Brazil). It's for international market I believe, because it's a Left Hand Drive. I have never seen another around here.

Well, I'm in love with the car. It's an auto transmission, diesel D-4D engine, and got all the good stuff (factory dual-battery, electric rear locker and so on).

Car has circa 100k miles only, single owner. My question is: for what country this trim/model has been offered? I'm afraid not to get parts for it when needed. Looking for the model under the hood, it says KDJ95L.

I usually buy parts from USA (cheaper and closer). If i can buy parts online (e.g. from Rockauto.com), it will be a plus. But i get the name Colorado for this model and most info available is for the KZT engine. Maybe different model/version?

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.

cheers,

Thiago

Last edited:
You have the facelift model Colorado, last couple years of 90 series production they stuck the D4D lump in it. This engine is the one in the 120 series prado's, so you'll find more available engine parts branching into the 120 section.

Unfortunately, the US didn't sell the 90 or 120 series in the US, or the Diesel engine so acquiring engine as well as general parts will be hard/impossible.

Thanks so much for the headsup. I've been investigating and found that it share engine parts with a d4d engine offered in a pickup here (called Hilux) from 2006-present. (Toyota diesel D-4D 3.0L 16V turbo intercooler 171 cv).

timing belt and oil filters match. However, i heard there are several major differences between the engines (don't know exactly which, but fuel injectors don't mach for example).

i'll keep looking, but the engine is the minor of all problems as it is supposed to last a long time. The first D4d sold here, however, had serious issues due to the low quality diesel (to not say dirty) vs commom rail system that atomizes the fuel. I think they increased fuel filter size dramatically and reduced the servicing time from 40.000 km to 10.000 km. Problem solved.

Regards,

thiago

I think I've found out the engine: 1kd-ftv

probably sold only in Europe from 2001-2002 as an early version of the updated d4d (120 series).

It has also been mentioned that it also shares suspension components with the 4runner (i believe 3rd gen) that is nOt difficult at all to find here.

thanks

The US market did get the 120 series, as a Lexus GX470, so there may be some parts available. Suspension is similar to the 185 series 4Runner/Surf that did go to the US market.

Hope that helps,

Ed

I have a KZJ90 and a KDJ90 (90 means swb 95 lwb or 2 door 4 door if you prefer) and as far as i can tell only the motor and wiring are different the chassis and body look identical . It may be worth you investigating Toyota Meru which is what they called the 90 series in Venezuela i have no idea what engines they got though .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good to know. It apparently shares brakes and suspension components with the latest 3rd gen 4runner model (2000-2002 in South America). But with d-4d was only sold in Europe thought. I'll keep looking, but have decided to jump into it. Let's see how the deal will progress. Many thanks everyone.

I have a KZJ90 and a KDJ90 (90 means swb 95 lwb or 2 door 4 door if you prefer) and as far as i can tell only the motor and wiring are different the chassis and body look identical . It may be worth you investigating Toyota Meru which is what they called the 90 series in Venezuela i have no idea what engines they got though .

Back