Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2013 Toyota LandCruiser 70-Series Dual-Cab

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
Well, in Oz anyway :thumbdown:

The ultimate dual-cab ute could be as little as eight months away. A TMR source has confirmed that Toyota will be introducing a dual-cab ute version of its 70-Series LandCruiser, and we should see it as early as October this year.

Demand for a dual-cab 70-Series ute is coming from the mining sector, which currently predominantly uses the lighter duty Toyota Hilux and similar IFS (independent front suspension) dual-cab models from other manufacturers.

Given its intended market, we believe there will be two or three specification levels only, all being variations of the same basic, vinyl floored theme.

With air-conditioning and a radio being mandatory, trim variations, wheel and tyre combinations and diff-locks will be some of the major items that will separate the different specifications.

We expect the new dual-cab will share its wheelbase with the current 79 Series LandCruiser single-cab ute and like the rest of the range, be available with a manual transmission only (there are three models presently available in the collective 70-Series range, the 79-Series single-cab ute, the 78-Series Troop Carrier and the 76-Series wagon).

It’s reasonable to assume that the 70-Series dual-cab will be powered by the same 4.5-litre V8 D4D turbo-diesel engine (the mines have plenty of experience with this unit already) that is used throughout the current 70-Series range.

That means an unstressed 151kW of power and 430Nm of torque, all available nice and low in the rev-range.

Underneath will be the same robust live-axle suspension, with coil springs up front and leaf-springs in the rear.

A 70-Series dual-cab ute will be one of only two dual-cabs on the Australian market that continue to run front and rear live-axle suspension (the other being the Defender 130), giving it significant appeal to the four-wheel-drive faithful looking for a tough, no-nonsense family-friendly touring vehicle.

We've heard that the aftermarket industry has seen the new 70-Series dual-cab, which means a range of major accessories will be available from the day they first go on sale.

If the idea of owning the strongest dual-cab ute on the market appeals, you're only real concern is going to be getting your order in before all those cashed-up mining companies crash through Toyota's doors.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/53674/2013-toyota-landcruiser-70-series-dual-cab

Apparently due for release into the South African market too. There's quite a bit after-market modding business in SA where single-cab LC pick-ups are converted in double cabs. So there will be a strong demand for these, especially with the V8 diesel :cool:

i read about this 3 or 4 months ago when some one posted about it on the other site. :)

i think this will be the perfect vehicle for me one day. :think:

can use it in the week for work and stick all my tools and materials in the back, and then at weekends when i want to head bush, i can stick all the camping gear in the back and off i go, and still have room for all the family! :clap: :D

Only downside with the 70 series (79?) pick-ups is the leaf-sprung rear axle obviously limits articulation. No big deal on an overlander but it won't be as capable as an offroader - not that you'll be wanting to offroad with all these kids you plan on acquiring, Ben :lol:

When will Toyota bring the 70 back to the UK? Put a 3.0l in it and will sell now that the defender is going IFS and all...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rob said:
When will Toyota bring the 70 back to the UK? Put a 3.0l in it and will sell now that the defender is going IFS and all...

It should, but it won't, because lr has a totally inexplicable loyalty in the uk, despite horrendous reliability and build quality.

At least they're cheap to fix :roll:

Back