Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24 valve inlet manifold heater.

frank rabbets

Guru
Why is this heater needed? Is it essential for you to start the engine or is it just for emission regs? Can't it just be disconnected thus lessening fires and dead batteries?

Thanks
Frank

It replaced the glow plugs. in extreme cold its probably quite useful.

with a little ingenuity why not get a replacement relay (IIRC a motorcycle one works at a fraction of the cost of the toyota part) and then wire a switch to the dash so you can use it to fire up and run for a min whilst she warms up it its bitterly cold, and otherwise leave the unit switched off).

adrianr said:

with a little ingenuity why not get a replacement relay (IIRC a motorcycle one works at a fraction of the cost of the toyota part) and then wire a switch to the dash so you can use it to fire up and run for a min whilst she warms up it its bitterly cold, and otherwise leave the unit switched off).
adrianr said:

That's exactly what I did and exactly how I use it. I used a generic motorcycle starter realay, around £15. From memory the OE Toyota relay was over £250.

Perhaps using a horn button type switch would prevent one leaving it on by mistake. Or wire it with the horn to remind you.

Frank

When I fitted the dash mounted switch to disable the heater I also fitted one of those high intensity flashing red LED's so there's no mistaking when the heater is actually in use.

Mine was disconnected and never gave any trouble, even in the Romanian highlands in the snow.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would like to do this and just wondered if anyone had experienced any problems having disabled the pre heater.

You will have a job on Warren, IIRC yours hasn't got one on, but do correct me if I am wrong.

Andy

aqany2yh.jpg

jusypaqa.jpg

a5y7y4uj.jpg

I may be wrong but think it's the block you can see the turbo intake is bolted too

Ah yes, with the different manifold and the pic of the engine in one of your previous threads it wasn't immediately obvious that you had one, the answer is its in a different place to the ones with EGR valves.
I stand corrected.

Andy

Mine is removed, never noticed it and engine has started just fine all the way down to -12c, ....................

I've replaced mine with an eBay relay and switched it so I can enable on colder days.

We had -23C here a couple of years ago so thought it wise to keep the option available.

Battery drain on startup is much reduced as the draw, for about 100 seconds, is over 80amps with the heater engaged.

Funnily enough my heater coil light has been coming on whilst driving. It comes on for a few seconds as usual after turning the key. When the heater itself is in operation after starting the engine the coil light does not light up and never has so I wonder what the light is actually indicating? The book says to turn the key to position 2 until the light goes out then crank it. So what exactly is the light waiting for? Is the heater on at this stage?

Anyway 30 mpg average over the last 1400 miles with 15% off road and 60 mph on tarmac.

I would imagine that in certain circumstances the matrix/element is actuated during initial warm up period to aid emissions. Its just an educated guess though.
The Chevys do the same, start, then re activate the glow plugs a couple of times in the 1st 30 sec.

Andy

Most glow plug relays (and I possibly the correct matrix relay) tend to have TWO timers, one switching the light on the dash and the other the glow plugs, switching on the ignition starts the timers in tandem, then after a few seconds the dash light goes out (you crank the engine) but the power is still supplied to the glow plugs, this aids smoother running while cold and lowers emissions, some diesels used to have the glow plugs powered for 3 or more minutes AFTER the engine was started.

An old trick on elderly diesels is switch on the ignition and ignore the light but, you listen for a 'clunk' as the relay switched off (some seconds AFTER the light has gone out), you then switched off the ignition and repeated, this enabled the glow plugs to get very hot before trying to start the engine which helps.

regards

Dave

Back