Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24v man heavy on fuel

Mine towing about 3tons drops it down the mid teens, on run it does mid to high 20's not towing.

karl i have 24v intercooler pump mods boost set to 1 bar 2 inch lift 2.5" side exit one small box snorkel and the best i can get is 465 motorway run and little town. i always get just over 400miles to a tank around summer time but in the winter i get just over 350 so its up and down i towed a 28ft hobby caravan this weekend and a 26ft caravan and my tank is just above halfway showing 260 miles yours sounds about right

Great shaun. That does sound like the type of thing im getting. I like the fact i will get the 400plus miles on a run. The 350 is fine as its more than the 12v autos anyway.

if you're using the trip meter in the truck then on 33's you'll have gone a bit further than indicated as well :icon-wink:

I tested tht the other day against my sat nav Jon. At 60 i was only 1/2MPH out. Will help with getting those miles bit higher though:icon-biggrin:

Might just sell it and keep the Petrol one on LPG :lol:

The speed and trip are slightly different, so the speed reads under and the trip pretty accurate, on standard tyres. 33's put the speed almost bang on and the trip under reads a bit. Might be worth seeing the consumption on the petrol one, on 33's, running LPG and towing 3.5 tons, might stop you whining about the black one's consumption :lol:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
23.5mpg on mixed road types so some local village stuff, lots of single track with passing places and a couple of longer journeys.
Will be interesting to see what it does on less rural roads and have a big journey down to Cardiff and back at the end of the month.

23.5mpg is ok. It's pretty hilly here, quite a bit of stop start too.
I reckon I'll hit the heady heights of 26 or so on a good run.
:think:

Last edited:
Great shaun. That does sound like the type of thing im getting. I like the fact i will get the 400plus miles on a run. The 350 is fine as its more than the 12v autos anyway.
Thought I'd resurrect this one, as I've been keeping an eye on my fuel economy over the last few tanks of diesel... and I'm averaging 22/23 mpg, mostly short journeys on B roads. Interesting point is that this is the exact same truck that the previous owner was reporting "500 miles on every tank". Yeah, right. Okay, so I'm not doing any motorway work, but even so I'm seeing much closer to your figs Karl - which I think are pretty much per for the course for a 24v manual on 33s and a small lift. :think:

Thats nicer to here Dave.

I dont seem to be bothered about what its doing on fuel anymore. May have something to do with it costing around 25quid to fill the tank rarther than 130. I love bio diesel :lol:

I have noticed that on a run it does give alot better on mpg than running around derbyshire all the time. 500 out of a tank though every time. Not a chance mine would even driving it at snail speed.

I'm with you Karl, I don't give a monkey's about MPG. I could tell you what mine does, and it seems a bit of a bother to find out :)) The only thing is range when we go on holls with the Caravan in tow. I've taken spare fuel, but I'd like a tank under our next caravan and some sort of a pump or another tank on the LC, but that would cost me my spare right??

previous owner was reporting "500 miles on every tank". Yeah, right. :think:
500 miles out of a tank, I didn't believe it then, and I still don't believe it now.
I am guessing it is a "Wish" that the 24 valve would get 500 miles to a tank.

But I think, as Chris once mentioned, it's got a lot to do with the lower performance of the diesel bought out of the pumps these days.

If I was running an 80, I would be hot on the heels of Nathan, and Karl, and sucking up all the old chip oil, and turning it into Land Cruiser fuel.
As Karl said, if the tank cost say between £25 and £30 to fill, then who cares if it's just doing 22 mpg.

Gra.

I think it's the 'every tank' part that might be causing trouble Graham, 500 miles is very achievable but it's not a very reliable way of measuring, is that till the light comes on first time, stays on, or the engine conks out :lol: there's a big difference in fuel volume between those options, being about 80l, 85l and 95l respectively. A completely standard one sat at 100kph till the tank runs dry is probably capable of over 600 miles but that's not a very useful benchmark to use.

Last edited:
I was measuring the volume I added with each refill, rather than trusting how full or empty the tank is - which gives me the mpg I quoted above. I'm with you on the "every tank" thing - I guess its very possible at constant speeds, but hacking about in normal day to day driving, not a prayer. I think 400 would be going well. Anyway - not all bad - its our third car, and still gives better mpg than the RX8 I sold last year! My daily driver Toyota (MR2 MkIII) gives me nearly 40mpg in mixed driving inc ragging it along our no speed limit areas :dance:

The RX8s are very thirsty Dave. But they love the road. Like a go cart.

Aye, the RX8 was great fun, mad revving Wankel rotary, superb rear wheel drive handling - but as a daily driver was costing too much to run - 20mpg, new rear tyres every 5000 miles (at £300 the pair), I could go on. Much happier with the MR2 TBH - great reliability, just as much to drive most of the time and literally half the fuel costs.

Back