Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24v man heavy on fuel

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
I have obviously brought my 24v man 80.

When I first got it I brimmed it with derive and got 350 to the tank. Last week I put £120 in it towed to Lincomb and back and I've taken it as low as possible before it just just cut out. I got 360 miles this time. I know a forum member claimed 500 plus miles per tank. I understand towing can make a difference but I wouldn't have said that much.

Anyone like to give me some total miles per tank that they get from there 24v man.

Thanks

I have an Intercooler and fuel pump adjusted 21.6 MPG at best, more often than not 20 ish MPG.

Standard pump adjustment on my one (24v) averaged a little over 30mpg fully loaded on trip through Europe including offraoding and roof rack.

Paul
I have the same spec car. I used to get your mpg figures but now 10% down after 30,000 to 130,000 miles. Must be injectors ?

Frank

Hi Karl.

When my truck was standard it got over 500 miles per tank but now after all the modifications it’s down to about 24 mpg. I have to say that after John modified the EGR vacuum pipes at Lincomb she sang a beautiful tune all the way home.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dunno if its typical for a 12v auto, but I only get around 18mpg:cry:. Pump recently refurbished and compression good in all cylinders, but I do have a short exhaust and no rear box

The towing close to 3500kg will knock it down a lot and having 33's as well will hurt it even more Karl so I wouldn't panic just yet, sounds about right to me. You need to take it for a gentle run on standard size tyres to get a proper idea what it's like and I bet you'll see very high 20's depending how gentle you manage to keep it :lol:

I understand towing can make a difference but I wouldn't have said that much.

Towing can make a considerable difference.

My '95' does about 25MPG when running light but its down to 17MPG with a double horse trailer on the back.

(And the 'kids' still don't contribute to the horse towing running costs :think:).

Bob.

I have obviously brought my 24v man 80.

When I first got it I brimmed it with derive and got 350 to the tank. Last week I put £120 in it towed to Lincomb and back and I've taken it as low as possible before it just just cut out. I got 360 miles this time. I know a forum member claimed 500 plus miles per tank. I understand towing can make a difference but I wouldn't have said that much.

Anyone like to give me some total miles per tank that they get from there 24v man.

Thanks
Yeah that sounds about right. I'm doing around 350 per tank with mixed short journeys, towing duty and a few longer runs.
Thats with some fuelling been done by Julian V and an intercooler fitted. I reckon the fuelling could be knocked back a bit, but it is actually fun to drive now and my foot does seem heavier now. Gonna fit a new stainless exhaust and revisit the fuelling (combined with a very long run both before and after) and will check the figures again then. Traillers are quite literally a drag !

With the 120 D4-d, running at 60, with no load, will give me 30 mpg.
Putting the loaded twin axle caravan on the back knocks me to 21 - 22

I would work on losing a third when towing the same weight as the tow vehicle.

ie, 24 running light = 16 whacked out with load
27 light = 18 loaded trailer
32 light = 24 loaded trailer

Gra.

Last edited:
Ok That feels better now.

Marrius, I know myself that the mod Jon told us was great and it makes it really nice to drive.Injectors and pump overhaul is on the list anyway so we will see if that helps.

As neil Im looking to fab a intercooler soon and get that fitted and play with the fuel some more.

Paul, it was defo standard 24v settings when i got it as it hardly moved unless thrashed in every gear yet the first tank only did 350 unless Someone helped thereself to a little one night.

Jon, TBH i can keep it fairly calm when i have to. At first i wanted to see what i can get out of it.When i got 35o i wasnt happy. If i had got the 500 miles first tank after that i would have not been bothered. Far better than the 12 auto and i am up hill and down dale local.

Once it has the cooler and the boost and fuel turned up more i wont be to fussed about it as the smile will make me forget all about it.

Im going to be producing bio diesel as well.It will be happy happys days. Glad its looking like the 350per tank is accross the range.

Karl

With the pump mods my GS is doing 25-26 to the gallon. With these mods it pulled like a train from 1100 RPM. The 12V auto used to do 21MPG average but would do up to 27 on a steady run. Had the vac pipe mod done today on the GS. TBH its no different low down ( it already had the pump mod) but seems to pull sharper higher up the rev range.
Going to Bristol today so we'll see what the 12V does, brimmed up zeroed and ready to roll.

Andy

Hi Andy, I guess your going for an "economy" run?
Any flat out run, is going to distort the economy figures way out of line.

Gra

An update on this:

I have filled the truck up yet again from empty.Used a full tank from last night untill six today the stuck another 50 quid in it. See why i always ran cooking oil in them. I have towed with it last night with 3.5 tonnes on Due to having to go and recover my trailer that i leant my mate who decided to loose control of the trailer with a izuzu on it on the a38 near birmingham and he did a 180 in the road ended up facing oncoming traffic then jacknifed it onto the grass bank. Anyone who got held up last night that was why as they closed the road.Lucky no one was hurt and i towed the trailer and truck back and my mate drove his truck back. The police were spot on.Then Drove to cardiff to collect a 80 today and drove back. Around 420 to the tank. As you can imagine i was smiling again. Looks like on a steady long run it may hit the 500 mark even with the JW tweak.Happy days. Still going to turn up the fuel boost and intercool it though:icon-biggrin:

Hi Karl,
So is the new 80 going to get the veggie and the twin tank set-up?

Gra.

Hi Graham

I dont think im going to twin tank this one.Im looking at starting making bio as soon as ive got the time an cash to build the plant.Want the fuel as clean s i can as i aways use waste veg oil.

Karl

I think there a few on here making their own bio, of differing qualities.

I think the top quality stuff could quite well be used in the later D4-d 120 series also ?

Gra.

Back from Bristol last night,349 miles/15.5 gallons so 22.5 on a 97% motorway run at mostly 75 MPH. Bearing in mind it is intercooled with the boost pressure increrased and fuelled up to suit. (12V auto)

Andy

22,5 mpg at 75 mph isn't bad I would have thought.
If you had time to spare, and company, you could have stuck to 60, and maybe got mid to top 20's ?~~~~~~~~ 27 ? 28 ?

I don't really stick to 70, or more on the motorway, I generally try to set off a littel earlier, and keep some extra cash in my pocket.

Gra.

Back