Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4.2 1HZ Engine Performance Characteristics

True enough Grant!

I cant ant compete with teenagers and I can't expect my truck to compete with TDs!

I have considered fitting a turbo, but I'm not so concerned with speed, the engine has plenty of torque for offroad, for the rest I can be a Sunday driver :lol:

Fitting a a turbo will be a lot of money and hassle...:think:

It was the post above mine that prompted me to post,

Did someone say turbo kit?

And yes mine is a tuned turbo with a winch and winch bumper and spots with headlamp protection, slight lift, roof rack with awning and rtt and steel rear bumper, (need to update some pictures one day) the autobahn run was without the roof rack.
mostly I have tweaked the truck for better torque not speed, side effect is that she gets up to and holds her speed.

Thanks for the clarification Julian, mine is non-turbo, normally breathless err I mean normally aspirated, a farmer Giles tractor (no offense meant to farmers called Giles) :whistle:

Have you talked yourself into fitting that turbo yet Clive? :laughing-rolling:

Naaa! Too much money and too much delving into technical territory that I don't have a clue about!

EGTs, dump pipes and wastegates, all double dutch to me!

I know what an air filter is, what it does and how and when to change it, let's keep it simple eh?

:laughing-rolling:

If you fit a turbo Clive I'll fit one too :icon-twisted:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm too old for all that Gary!

Unless of course I hand it over to someone else and get it back all done a guaranteed! :lol:

That would appeal to me more!

118mph on the gps, was my record in my tweaked 4.2 TD 12v on 275 Michelins

A bit more fuel via tweakage = a bit more boost availability, tweak the boost to suit, job jobbed.

Hi Clive..

This is late though...

I have a 1 Hz engine stock had it run 255000 Km after this got a engine overhaul done..

Before the Overhaul I had the same concern as you.. on 5th gear the 80 wouldn't go above 3000 rpm..

On 4th gear I could take it up to 4000 rpm..

After the Overhaul.. on 5th Gear in 2000 rpm the 80 moves at 75 kmh.. what speed does your 80 move on 5th gear at 2000 rpm may be I could compare hours and mine..

I will have a look tomorrow morning, but i do know that the 105 pulls well in 5th. 50mph to 70mph comes quickly on the m25. Will try and check some rpm numbers to match.

Hi Clive..

This is late though...

I have a 1 Hz engine stock had it run 255000 Km after this got a engine overhaul done..

Before the Overhaul I had the same concern as you.. on 5th gear the 80 wouldn't go above 3000 rpm..

On 4th gear I could take it up to 4000 rpm..

After the Overhaul.. on 5th Gear in 2000 rpm the 80 moves at 75 kmh.. what speed does your 80 move on 5th gear at 2000 rpm may be I could compare hours and mine..

Hey, thanks for posting Alpesh, I’m off work Friday so tomorrow night we’ll be doing the usual weekend run up to the house.

I’ll check out my speed at 2000 rpm in 5th and report back.

I’ve got 430k km on the clock now, so she’s that little bit more run-in than the previous posts :lol:

The truck does run well TBH, so I’m not complaining.

At the last ITP (MOT in the UK) annual check, the guy refused to test the emissions because he said he’s supposed to take it up to the red line and it’s not fair to an old engine to do that with no load. So he passed the truck with no emissions test :thumbup:

I will have a look tomorrow morning, but i do know that the 105 pulls well in 5th. 50mph to 70mph comes quickly on the m25. Will try and check some rpm numbers to match.

That would be interesting GOK, mine seems to be lower geared than the manual HZJ from other reports of speed vs rpms.

It’s a Euro spec, very basic, more NATO than SUV if you get my drift.

We’ve got some snow at last, so I might go out and get it muddy at the weekend... :lol:

Ok, heading up the DN1 after a stop-start start to our journey, I checked my speed at 2,000 rpm and it’s bang on 80 kph...

So, 2600 or so, rpm brings up 70mph here. And around 2000 is when I see 50mph. Which is about the same as your reading (?)

Yep 50 mph = 80 kph = 2,000 rpm all good, thanks GOK :thumbup:

I was beginning to wonder if I had different diff ratios for some reason :lol:

Really interesting reading this thread. I hadn't seen it before. I'll have a look next time I take my 105 out. Presumable the above readings are in 5th?

I think the non-turbo 1HZ is definitely not going to win any speed awards, but it makes up for it in simplicity and reliability which, for me at least, are more important than speed and power.

Good thread Clive.

On one Clive it reads 2000 rpm as 90kph & 2150 rpm for 100kph. This is maybe difference in transmissions mine being an auto A442F.

Ok, heading up the DN1 after a stop-start start to our journey, I checked my speed at 2,000 rpm and it’s bang on 80 kph...

Thanks Guys,

I've got my results here..

Mine is HZJ 80 - 1 HZ engine.. Its a 1996 model and a manual gearbox..

So this are my results for each gear

Gear 2 - 2000 rpm - 25 Kph
Gear 3 - 2000 rpm - 45 Kph
Gear 4 - 2000 rpm - 67.5 Kph
Gear 5 - 2000 rpm - 75 Kph

I'll Post back results for 3000 rpm tomorrow..

Thanks
And by the way, the car has after factory fittings as follows:
Has a roofrack, a chrome standard bullbar(lighter than the arb ones), ironman springs with 2" lift, and aftermarket shock absorbers.

Last edited:
On one Clive it reads 2000 rpm as 90kph & 2150 rpm for 100kph. This is maybe difference in transmissions mine being an auto A442F.

Update...this does vary a little depending on the road level up or down give or take a little.

Really interesting reading this thread. I hadn't seen it before. I'll have a look next time I take my 105 out. Presumable the above readings are in 5th?

I think the non-turbo 1HZ is definitely not going to win any speed awards, but it makes up for it in simplicity and reliability which, for me at least, are more important than speed and power.

Good thread Clive.

Yep, 5th gear for those readings Nick:thumbup:

I’ve considered an aftermarket turbo install, but stepping into EGTs, boost controllers and the potential harm to an ageing engine has put me off.

Although it wasn’t a concious decision when I bought it (I had no idea what I was buying other than a cheapish 4x4 :lol: back then) I too like the simplicity of the 1HZ.

Back