Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4.5 D-4d twin turbo - oil use?

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Seems there is an issue with the Euro-4 model engine using a lot of oil, and Toyota being shtum about it - see here

Sounds a bit like the 3.0 D-4d injector seal problem going un-acknowledged ....

LCOOL has been full of this for years? Also some chatter about it on LCCSA - one the guys was saying that Toyota practice is to overfill by 2l when serviced and by the next service (10,000km?) the oil level barely reaches the bottom of the dipstick.

I'd still have one though :mrgreen:

It seems that Toyota are doing their usual rip of the customer/deny all knowledge of all problems until they can charge the customer when servicing :roll:

Andrew Prince said:
t Toyota practice is to overfill by 2l when serviced and by the next service (10,000km?) the oil level barely reaches the bottom of the dipstick.

Thats some oil usage

I thought that it was common knowledge that the D4D had issues with injectors etc. There has been a problem with all of them from the Rav4 up. I know that on the smaller D4D's there has been a re-call fro injectors and I know that Local Toyota dealer has even done complete engine changes under warranty.

Soot in the oil is an abrasive and I think that all modern engines are going to suffer with all the emission control that go's on now.

Steve

I have to say that I think Toyota don't really have an oil consumption problem with the V8 diesel engine.

Based on my 1st hand experience with my 2009MY D4D which I've had since new, the oil consumption has disappeared after the engine has been run in properly. I now have about 50,000 kms on the odometer and the engine's oil consumption has dropped off to negligible.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I sold my 200 for this reason plus the 'daft' fuel consumption. I had a replacement engine at 80000miles due to the oil consumption that Toyota said was normal (yeah, 500mls per 600 miles is 'normal') - Even paddling along at 70mph on cruise, unladen, would see fuel consumption in the mid-teens, despite the computer saying low 20's. I have now reverted to a 100 series .

Back