Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4 - Wheel Drive Indicator Light

MOZ

Country Flag
wales
Just taken out the Colorado and I've noticed that the orange 4 Wheel Drive Indicator Light on the Dash Panel remained on when driving, is this correct or should it have gone out, or does it indicate that the 4 wheel is on, tried the gear lever but it stayed on.
If this is not correct, how does one disconnect it? With having no owners manual I have nothing to refer too.

Sounds like centre difflock
You dont want to drive around on tarmac with that on
Was the steering not tight at junctions?

The lever next to gear lever can be used to disengage it, pull it all the way back

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Check the gear lever on the left is in H, pulled fully back towards you and that you the diff lock switch on off which is right of the steering column

Richie

Hi Guys - I have tried your suggestions/advice, but the light still stays on. I pull it right back to 'H' but left in 'N' where the lever feels it is in neutral, but the light remains on, any other suggestions?

Put the levers etc into 2wd position and reverse up a bit in a straight line, do they go off then?

This is a Colorado we are talking about yes ? The collie has no 2wd option its a permanent 4x4 . I've got the owners manual in front of me so i've double checked what i'm about to say just to be sure its right . HL is for high speed driving with the centre diff locked (maybe you would use it crossing a desert or something but definitely not on tarmac) and H is for normal driving meaning your still in 4wd but no diffs are locked . You can shift from HL to H while moving at any speed and back again without engaging the clutch so i suggest you try that a few times to see if you have any luck .

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Shayne - Yes it is a Colorada. Only picked it up last weekend, daughter drove it back, in the day time, so I was not sure about this light being on until I went out in it tonight, So you think it is ok?

Thats why I was after an Owners Manual for these sort of things, did not get one when I bought it, tried to find one on the internet, no luck, tried Toyota UK, they said contact my local Toyota Dealer, who is only 2 miles away, but they said they can not get one. So my best bet know is to find someone who can photo copy one for me?

To be honest Moz my truck is still outside the pub where i left it yesterday afternoon :obscene-drinkingdr: so i can't check but i am wondering if my light stays lit orange until i engage the centre diff and it then goes red . I will let you know tomorrow but it would do no harm to try switching from H to HL on a straight road at slow speed to see for yourself if the light changes .

I think the GX and FX auto and manual are all pretty much the same from an owners handbook point of view so any Colorado book should be ok .

To be honest Moz my truck is still outside the pub where i left it yesterday afternoon :obscene-drinkingdr: so i can't check but i am wondering if my light stays lit orange until i engage the centre diff and it then goes red . I will let you know tomorrow but it would do no harm to try switching from H to HL on a straight road at slow speed to see for yourself if the light changes .

There are 2 lights on the dash for lockers. 1 orange and 1 red. The orange one with the "X" in the middle is for the center locker. Red one with the "X" over the rear axle is for the rear locker. Once the switches/levers are engaged the lights will flash and will only go solid once the mechanisms are engaged (rear will only lock when in low range.

The lever on the left has 4 positions.

To find high range find the neutral position then push the lever to the left and pull back towards the rear of the truck. you should feel it first engage "High Locked" pull back a little harder and it should rest in the High position. then try driving forward and backwards about 30 feet a few times.

If the light still does not go off then there are possibly issues. we can walk you through diagnosing what these may be if you let us know that the above has not worked.

If it is still driving ok then chances are nothing is seriously wrong and

Hi Moz just got home and remembered to take a look at my dash lights . There is no orange light lit while in H it only comes on when i select HL .

That's normal, You can drive on the road in wet conditions at high speed in hl too.

h gives you 60/40 split and hl will give you 50/50 split.

Hi Guys - many thanks for all your advice, problem now solved, shift lever in correct position and orange light on dash - out.
I had my son sit in the passenger seat and 'yank' the lever whilst moving back & forth slowly and after a couple goes it engaged and the orange light went out. So it looks as if it was slighly 'stuck'.
So once again - thanks, good to know you guys are out there, just need an owners manual now so in future I might know myself.

Great news Moz now maybe you should send your lad under it with a grease gun .

In the process of turning my owners manual into a PDF for you fella, glad you have it sorted now.

Cheers

Richie

Back