Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4Runner Transmission on LJ70?

emrahdeniz

Country Flag
turkey
Hello,

I wonder whether Automatic 4Runner Transmission would fit on a LJ70?

Last edited:
A Auto 4runner would have the A343F box which can mate to a lot of various engines and work. You'll need to be more specific though. What engine do you have? You'll need to find the correct bell housing to mate to whatever engine you have.

In most cases, I think it would fit.

Yes it would fit!

But.....................the problem with fitting a Hi-lux/4-Runner box into a 70 is the sheer length of it!

You would probably have to remove/move your cross member and your rear prop shaft would end up being really short!

From what I've read, its possible but not really a good choice. :icon-smile:

I have 2LT engine (1997)

Then you would suggest to find LJ70 gear box instead of 4runner.

Any ideas where to find it in EU?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Hello,
in Italy you can find a lot, have a look on ebay.
Regards.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think I will not manage to fit 4runner transmission on LJ70.

I found a LJ79 Automatic transmission in Bulgaria, do you think that would fit?

I plan to buy the transmission from this car:
http://www.mobile.bg/pcgi/mobile.cgi?topmenu=2&act=4&adv=21449822729733031&slink=bzrvyk

Yes it would fit!

But.....................the problem with fitting a Hi-lux/4-Runner box into a 70 is the sheer length of it!

You would probably have to remove/move your cross member and your rear prop shaft would end up being really short!

From what I've read, its possible but not really a good choice. :icon-smile:

Yes that should fit.

You may still find you need to alter certain things if your converting from manual to auto. The cross member may need altering/changing. I'm pretty sure the rear prop shaft should be OK but it might need altering. Inside the cab where the gear stick used to be will need tidying up.

The other thing to think about is the ratio of your diffs as I imagine the auto LJ70's will run higher gear ratio's in the diffs, although that shouldn't matter too much, especially if your running bigger tyres than standard. :thumbup:

Again thank you for you feedback.
I did not understand what do refer by cross member? Could you please explain?

My diff ratios are 4.88 and i have 33inch tires so i think it will be ok.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

You're welcome. :thumbup:

The chassis cross member is the section of the chassis that goes between the chassis rails and supports the transmission. I'm pretty sure it bolts on, but the auto and manual probably have a different shaped one.

If you could buy the cross member with the auto box, that might make things a lot easier for you.

You should be fine with those ratios and tyres, if you ever went back to say 30" tyres you might struggle to get up to high way speeds with the auto box and those ratios, but with 33"s you should be fine. :icon-biggrin:

Hello,

I finally bought the transmission from Bulgaria.
I thought tha the engine is 2LT but actually it is 2LTE. The picture of the transmission box is below, it has an ECU. I read some forums that this ecu is in communication with the 2LTE ECU. some say that it will work problemlessly on 2LT and some say it will never work.

Do you have any idea? I could get these information after buying the stuff so I'm a little bit dissapointed.

20160109122108.jpg20160109124753.jpg

Back