Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

5 speed gearbow actuation

Seamus

Can anybody tell me if a gearbox out of a later HJ60 (1989) will fit a 1984 model I know both boxes are H55F but my 84 model has the manual lever to put into 4WD and the later 89 box has the button on the dash to engage 4WD,

so what my question is if I remove the actuator is the connection the same so I can connect the lever or would I need to install a vacuum pump? :tools-wrench::tools-wrench::tools-wrench::tools-wrench::pray:

Mike.

Last edited:
the in between model is a manually operated 5 speed. The manual selector is more reliable

yes, but its the transfer box we are talking about here, not the gearbox.

Andy

Andy

Thanks Andy picky bugger thought you would know, I bought the two boxes that were on eBay and am going to put the one in while I sort my box then either put it back or keep it as a spare, the other box needs stripping and a rebuild.

mike.

Andy

so am I!! last time I checked it was the transfer box that selected 4wd!

what I was implying was that as the early 5 speeder came with a mechanical 4wd transfer box then it should be possible to return a later 5 speed box to a mechanical 4wd selection and save the faff and be more reliable

Last edited:
Ok got that Moggy thanks and sorry if you felt left out you picky bugger. I do know the difference between the gear box and transfer box just bing a little lazy.

My bother Tonytoyota on here has A 40 with the 60 engine and box the has the switch instead of the mechanical and he had problems once when it was -10 a couple of winters ago and it would not select 4WD until he got home that evening and it had warmed probably different gear oil would have helped but not when he was stuck in a big icy pool.

Mike.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was talking to that lomas bloke Seamus! I don't know, 20 H60s and he reckons it makes him an expert:laughing-rolling:

I had one pack up when I was in the desert, which was a bit inconvenient so when the gearbox failed on my 1990 HJ60 I replaced the box (and transfer box!!) with a 5 speed unit from an earlier model with the mechanical actuation. I think the pneumatic selector is a bit of a weak link.

A 40 with HJ60 engine and transmission I reckon has to be damn near the perfect cruiser:thumbup:

Yes a 45 with hj60 running gear is Damn perfect Cruiser thanks Moggy from tonytoyota. :laughing-rolling: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Woo woo guys! I have looked at these transfercases and the difference between the manual h4 and later one transfer cases is that the inner casing is different. The vacuum setup it is a much lighter but effective and is attached with 4 bolts and on the earlier manual type transfer there isnt the possibility to connect that on.

My mate Andy does know what he is talking about and has a lot of hands on experience.

But Seamus you have the possibility of fitting the earlier transfer onto the later 5 speed box. If the later 5 speed is good then you should rebuild the transfercase you want to fit to it and use that. I may be interested in the vac type transfer as I have my spare box that the transfer is shot.

If we both need to rebuild transfercases, why dont we buy the 2 appropriate rebuild kits and do them both ourselves?? :thumbup:

My mate Andy does know what he is talking about and has a lot of hands on experience.

I know, I was joking, I have had cause to tap into his knowledge (and spares!) many times!

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

I know, I was joking, I have had cause to tap into his knowledge (and spares!) many times!

Thanks for the info guys, Iwan I will get your number off Tony and call you but first I need to get some time to have a proper look at what I've bought and take stock.

Mike.

Hi Mike can you let me now if I have got a picture off my fj45 on the thank Tony r you ok .

Back