Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

70 series 4" speaker recommendations

Ako

Country Flag
australia
I know there is a general ICE section, but I don't think anyone else is interested in 4" speakers.

What has everyone used to upgrade? I assume mine are originals and they snap crackle and pop like kids breakfast cereals.

With the general road noise of a 70 series there is going to be a diminishing return on super expensive stuff, but there must be some good options to upgrade with.

Is 2 way the go or something else?

I need to take my dash out for a few jobs, wanted to get all my ducks in a row and only do it once.

Thanks.

Mick

Sorry I cant recommend any 4" speakers but I was going to say its a horrible job to swap them with the dash in (particularly the drivers side one), but seen as your taking the dash out anyway it will be easy! :icon-biggrin:

I'm with Ben........ 4" speakers will never give you good sound, why not upgrade to door speakers?

I changed the front dash speakers with newer ones. They would never cover the engine sound.
then wired some detachable speakers that sit just on the floor in front of the rear bench. sound got better.

added two small creative computer speakers in the corners of the roll cage….and , better, but still flat sound.

fed up with trying speakers, got an active subwoofer that sits at the rear and now sound approaches a normal car…..

so, front speakers only , you need lots of enthusiasm to hear radio, let alone listen to music.

Installed 50w 3 way pioneer speakers in front doors and 60w 4 way pioneers in the rear of my 60. Sounds reasonable with apple car play linking phone to kenwood double din unit.
But need to stiffen rear speaker mounds with plywood as the hardboard rattles when over 50% volume

I'm with Ben........ 4" speakers will never give you good sound, why not upgrade to door speakers?

Sorry, didn't explain myself right. I just want to get the best speakers possible for now in the original slots.

Down the line I will look into other options such as door speakers or a box in the back.

I am not looking for Opera house clarity here, just something that doesn't cut out on me all the time. I am expecting nothing but first class wiring from the PO when I take this dash out :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mate I went down to supercheap and bought a set of the Sony 4" speakers they sell. They have a mini tweeter built in and sound way better than any other 4" I've ever heard. They cost about $45 and fit sweet. Only thing you'll need to do is put a small spacer on each mount to make a bit of room for the centre tweeter. I just used a small stainless nut thread onto the existing mount and it works fine.

Cheers, thanks. Will have a look on Amazon and see what I can get shipped over...

Back