Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80/105 question

mettisse

Supporter
hello, I am an fan of the 4xOverland videos on the ‘tube, I notice that on more than one occasion the 105 Bruiser is referred to as an 80 series chassis / running gear with a100 series body. Well, the first thing I notice is that the 105 has 5 stud wheels, ( not thee 80 six std) is this the only difference?is it really an “ improved” 80? Obviously there are different engine options, but that apart) Can anyone answer these questions please ?
Best regards to all, Billy Westley

Bill in effect you are correct. The 105 is a hydrid between an 80 downstairs and a 100 upstairs. The kinda common story that we like to laugh about is that at the end of the 80 series, they had some chassis left over and someone had the bright idea to use them up. Anyway, there are some other differences such as the wheels but it all depends on the variant at hand. Most 105s use the non turbo diesel and typically don't have a centre differential. They are all too, I believe, manual. They have a transfer box and locking front hubs etc. They generally don't have lockers fitted either other than the centre. The cabin is from the 100 but I wouldn't expect leather and walnut in there, nor probably AC or electric windows. They're quite utilitarian.

That's a quick (and very general) overview. I'm sure there's more but that's probably the stand out items

AFAIK petrols are auto and diesels are manual. I think they all have air can though as their target markets were all hot countries.

Never seen a petrol 105. Yes I'd imagine they've be auto. Just never thought about that. Sure they can have AC, no reason why not, but they tend to be quite love level spec machines. From what I've seen.

Scott's got a petrol 105.

While a lot of the bits and bobs will just-fit, need to think through things. Eg a 80 series standard suspension is pretty shit on a 105, but a 80series with +150 front and +90 at the back = perfect.

Lots of part numbers are different though, unsure if that's just uprated, improved, adapted to wider body, etcetc or it's just different for the sake of.

I imagine the 80 series being built to take the top in class badge and buyers from the then Rangerover and the 105 being built in order to keep lucrative contracts such as supplying the UN .

If i was planning to build an all out overlander camper conversion (budget/availability notwithstanding) i would choose a 105 over an 80 or the new 70 series simply for the extra space its wider roof provides .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bill in effect you are correct. The 105 is a hydrid between an 80 downstairs and a 100 upstairs. The kinda common story that we like to laugh about is that at the end of the 80 series, they had some chassis left over and someone had the bright idea to use them up. Anyway, there are some other differences such as the wheels but it all depends on the variant at hand. Most 105s use the non turbo diesel and typically don't have a centre differential. They are all too, I believe, manual. They have a transfer box and locking front hubs etc. They generally don't have lockers fitted either other than the centre. The cabin is from the 100 but I wouldn't expect leather and walnut in there, nor probably AC or electric windows. They're quite utilitarian.

That's a quick (and very general) overview. I'm sure there's more but that's probably the stand out items

Thanks for your reply, I have to ask, are the axles superior to the 80? ie stronger? I saw a lot of 105 s in Morocco with tour firms. I had an opportunity to buy a new one a few years ago but at the time my 80vx was an absolute “piece” and the 105 was sluggish in comparison and a manual, I don’t do manual, ( everyone to their own) and as said very basic, so I politely declined. Today? I think I made the right decision, and I knew nothing about Toyota's back then. However, I understand Shane’s remark about the wider bodies of the other models he mentioned, but, as I see it, the best of everything would include a coil sprung chassis with a troopy body, and a late euro 6 Merc V6 Diesel engine, but JMO, I suppose most things automotive are a compromise, thanks again, Bill Westley

Just for information...
Screenshot_20190916-171531.jpg

Screenshot_20190916-171610.jpg

Last edited:
Never seen a petrol 105. Yes I'd imagine they've be auto. Just never thought about that. Sure they can have AC, no reason why not, but they tend to be quite love level spec machines. From what I've seen.

Scott's got a petrol 105.
Indeed....my Oz market 105 is a petrol auto, with AC (it can get a little hot in Oz at times) but it does have wind up windows. Chris, clearly we've never met!

The 4.5 petrol is similar to the 4.5 in the 80, but not the same. The 80 has a distributor, the 105 has coil packs, so there are differences in the induction and ignition systems. Gary and I compared the two engines at Lincomb a few years back, there are many differences.

Mine is a full time 4x4 with centre diff, I had it retro fitted with axle lockers to match the capability of a UK 80 in the axle department.

I'll try and get to one of the remaining club get togethers this year, so people can see the 105 again. I had hoped to get along to the social last weekend, but annoyingly demands on my time put a stop to that. An unreliable Honda (bit of an oxymoron) is messing with best laid plans at the moment!

The 105 is a very comfortable, rugged and reliable 4x4 platform, hats off to Toyota for making it alongside the 100 series, to cater for the harsher parts of the world (Asia, Africa & Australia) where vehicle reliability can mean the difference between life and death.

I may be talking complete bollocks (wouldn't be the first time) but aren't 100s IFS? Isn't that the main difference (and as Scott said, the older 80 series stuff is more third world friendly?)...?

Yes Dave the 100 is IFS you are completely correct. But that wasn't the question - ie what's the difference between an 80 and a 100. Clearly IFS would be a significant element if it were.

It was really something along the lines of - is a 105 simply a 100 cabin plonked on an 80 chassis? The answer being well, sorta yes and sorta no.

Sorry Scott, who are you? :doh:

The 105 is a different series to the 100 Dave but it never reached our market directly .

Cheers Chris, Shane - I think I was trying to answer the question a different way - i.e. I was thinking of the 105 as being a 100 with a proper front axle, rather than an 80 with a 100 body dumped on it, if you follow me. I think that is what Billy was getting at in the OP, at least.

Yes I think the truth is that it's not as simple as a just a top stuck on a bottom. The hubs being 5 stud for example is one key difference which Bill had already noted. In the nicest possible sense it's a bit of a Frankenstein really. But one that worked. It's a shame that production was never really that high. Now, how difficult would it be to make one ......

The only other thing I have gleaned from others on here is that the steering box has a stronger shaft.

The only other thing I have gleaned from others on here is that the steering box has a stronger shaft.

True, and what’s even nicer is the stronger shaft will fit into an 80 steering box, should you be unfortunate enough to snap or twist the pesky quadrant shaft (I’ve managed to do both) :whistle:

Back