Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 diesel buying advice gratefully recieved !!

James Lampard

Hi, as one or two of you may already know I am on the look out for an 80 series diesel preferably manual,
Although I am not a novice when it comes to buying cars I don't have a clue of potential weak points / known issues with a land cruiser ( I know my way round a defender ) and through experience what to be wary of but this is a different beast !!!
Is there a link you can point me to?

Simple things like where the oil pressure gauge should be on idle and also whilst driving - does it shoot straight up to a certain point under load and stay steady etc
Known rust havens ( a fair few on a defender !!!!!!)
Sun roof issues are fairly common sense I guess
Other concerns I have since joining the club and reading various threads are the front axles !! Is this a common problem or from heavy work with bigger wheels and unlikely to affect the kind of 4x4 used for the school run !!!
How do you check diff locks etc - these are a far cry from the levers I am used to !!!!!!
Etc etc
Any advice would be great fully recieved and probably save me a fortune !!!!
Cheers Jim

James, you really have to get into using the site more. This has to be one of the most frequently asked questions. Now don't get me wrong we like to help, but we find ourselves answering the same things again and again and again and .....

THis why there are stickies at the top of forums.

There is a sticky on the 80 section which not only covers how to fix 80's but if you look there is a thread about buying them. I know 'cos I started it!

Here - http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/34997-80-series-mods-and-repairs-FAQ

Get through that lot then refine your questions a little. OK? It's all on here - it IS a Landcruiser forum after all.

Then let's get you into an 80, that's when the real work starts. BTW front axles is nothing to do with heavy work. It's miles and age coupled with the fact that even on one that has dealer service history, no one looks in the front hubs.

Chris

Hi Chris - I figured it would be a well trodden path !!! But couldn't find any info that said I am pretty useless on computers - I wondered what the hell stickies were !!!!! I will give it a go now
Cheers Jim

Have fun in there Jim. There's some good stuff.

One thing you need to buy is a 54mm socket or box spanner at least.

Chris

Back