Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 for sale, can't find the original thread

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
This 80 http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...x-42-td-manual/1010860499#gallery-item-full-9 came up on a recent thread. I'm b****d if I can work out how to keep current with threads on this board - stuff still drops off the radar.

Anyhoo, I was up't town this afters (as we say) so I rang and said 'can I come for a look, are you in' 'Yes ma luv'

So I rock up about 14.30 and you know how your heart sort of skips when you see one of these, well mine didn't. I don't think that the setting of a council estate full of prefab-slab houses helped, but anyway it didn't exactly have the sunlight glinting off its finely polished chrome.

So let's start with the conclusion for those with short attention spans. It's alright.

There you go.

Further analysis, however, would say that for £8750 it would have, for me, to be super mint with added 'Wow' and a few extra items added. Now this is from my perspective - you make your own mind up. I am looking for a clean, sound unmolested vehicle at the right money. This one ticks two of those boxes I suppose, but there is the issue of money to be dealt with. People selling cars usually always have a different view of worth than those buying them, that's life and why haggling was invented by Mr Cruiserguylomas. But if you are asking top money for something, there are boxes to be ticked. Some boxes are worth more than others though. Being taxed for example is only worth what the tax would cost. Having an MOT is worth having, it's a legal requirement so adds desirability but does it add much values? Being clean makes it more saleable but only worth the cost of a valet down the local Polish car wash. So what is it that adds value over and above the basic bottom price of the car?

Well being IN would be one of them to start with. How you expect to sell a car when you aren't there is a mystery to me. An unwashed car, with dents in the bodywork. A car with what looks like the remains of a barn in the rear luggage area.

I think I would have to classify this as having potential but disappointing. I couldn't drive it obviously but I'd bet it was probably pretty straight. No major leaks, the right amount of oil spread underneath to stop rust. But as to value, if he said make me an offer it needs to go now, Honestly, I wouldn't go more than about £6500. Seriously, I wouldn't. Now, if it had been truly mint, clean, tidy, ding free then £7500 might have been on the bonnet. So am I saying that I'd pay £1000 for a bit of a polish and a visit from Dentmaster which I could do myself? Well, sort of, yes. But it's more than this. If the car looks well, not over prepared, but just looks well, it gives me a confidence that it's been loved and not been a burden. You don't polish a turd as they say. This just didn't look loved, but with some work may well turn out to be a very very nice 80. Just not with my money.

Why am I telling you this? I have absolutely no idea. But if you were thinking of having it, maybe you are better prepared. I rang him from the pavement to let him know I was there. Has he rung me back? For nearly £9000, I sure as hell ain't ringing him!

Chris

Last edited:
Some of the threads have had several in them so maybe it's hidden in one of those Chris, I remember it being on here though from the pictures, the side exhaust and the colour.

Well thats saved a phone call!!! Wouldn't mind a report on that GX if anyone goes to view at half the money.

Thanks for that Chris see ya soon

Andy

You know where I am Andy. There may even be biscuits.

Jon, it was buried in a thread, but I still find it annoying having to search for threads that are recently active. I am on a shooting forum which uses the same 'engine?' as this and it has a 'threads I'm in' tab at the top. At least that way you can get back to something you were discussing only a day or so since. I suppose I could go into setting and subscriptions and look for it there.

C

It was this one http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/48013-Is-this-worth-a-look/page3 Found it in subscriptions, but couldn't see it in any of the other 'short cuts'

Last edited:
If i was looking for an 80 you would have sold it for me Chris . Its black and so for me it would be a front runner in any case , I'd rather spend a few more quid and get what i want than spend less on something i should have bought instead and spend years wishing it was a different colour . Besides prices can alter dramatically when you start shoving the cash back in your pocket .

I think that GX Grey on on Ebay looked quite good.
I think it was prices about £3795 ?

I was a little bit tempted, but my 120 even at 250,000 miles still has a lot of miles left in it.

I think also for me, an 80 series would involve too much fiddling, and too much maintenance.

If an when my 120 does move on, I am torn between a face lift 100 series, of like 2003'ish or dare I say, a Mondeo estate.

Gra

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andy when I said biscuits, I didn't expect you to eat the whole tin. 'Spose it's the shock of parting with more money, eh?

Come on, tell all the nice people what you have bought ...............

C

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...x-42-td-manual/1010860499#gallery-item-full-9

The guy selling this is a real pleasure! Was talking to him the day it was advertised, he sent me a few pictures. As Chris says it looks OK, needs a bit of tlc and a good valet but a nice colour, nice year, could be a lovely 80 someday so was interested if we could do a deal at a good bit less that £8750. I ask him what he was accepting for it -£8750 was the reply no haggling/dealing no chit chat nowt.

Left it, thought I would try again today so I texted him just now, below is the conversation.

me- did u sell the amazon yet?
seller- NO
me- what are u taking for it now?
seller-£8750
me- that's y u haven't sold it yet, did you have a browse online to see what they are making?
seller- Not interested in your opinion. Now f@@k off and annoy someone who gives a sh@t!

As i said what a pleasure. I thought 80 users where meant to be an open friendly bunch with a common interest. I would advise to avoid. Or else don't avoid do the opposite and EVERYONE text him offering him £3000. Yeah that's a better idea.

James

Not surprised
He told me that he wasn't bothered about selling it had been offered a manual 100 series and wouldn't touch an auto if you paid him

Only if the 100 came off would he actually sell the 80

Stuff him.

C

Back