Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

This is something I have in mind Chas. On the one hand, a manufacturer wants their logo on show so that people can find the product. On the other, you don't want to p off your customers. In the middle comes a great logo that folks WANT to be seen with.
I'll be aiming for that with the sticker as something the customer can apply on the outside. Maybe something discrete on the door itself? Open to comment on this.

May I suggest a £2 coin size with land cruiser club.net framing the Kitlocka signature .

I would recommend neo-graphix.co.uk dome stickers

This is something I have in mind Chas. On the one hand, a manufacturer wants their logo on show so that people can find the product. On the other, you don't want to p off your customers. In the middle comes a great logo that folks WANT to be seen with.
I'll be aiming for that with the sticker as something the customer can apply on the outside. Maybe something discrete on the door itself? Open to comment on this.
That's it, big? small? middling? you can't please all the people all the time. You could always supply the customer with three different size stickers. :laughing-rolling:

image.jpg
One of the first things I did to my truck was replace ugly stickers

Ok folks, I owe you all an update.

I have been chasing laser cutters and fabricators and machine shops and we are now getting somewhere. I've had to do a trial pair as they are being made in a different way.
Before Christmas the 2 trial frames were all but made, the hinge infills are being made this week as are the doors. I'll then have a trial pair to fit in mine and work out if I have any body clearance issues which I shouldn't.
Molle panels are also made as prototypes and I'm chasing pricing on these. One thing has come to light in that I was aiming to have them self colour. This shows production marks (light scratches) so I'm going to need to either brush/sand them (my preference) or get them painted which I was trying to avoid as this adds to the cost and is apart from the above, unnecessary.
Comments welcome.

I've been a tad busy before Christmas which has eased a bit so hopefully I can get going on these soon. It looks like parts will be with me in the next week or so.
If all goes to plan they should just drop in and I can press the go button. I would say 4-6 weeks after that with luck and I should have some ready to go out.
As always, I have to get them right before they go out which should be less of a variable this time.
Hopefully I'll have another update soon. :)

Ok folks, I owe you all an update.
I'm going to need to either brush/sand them (my preference) or get them painted which I was trying to avoid as this adds to the cost and is apart from the above, unnecessary.
Comments welcome.
Hopefully I'll have another update soon. :)
I would say as they are only to be seen on the inside they could be painted/coloured to the customers preference.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello StarCruiser,

Good to know that everything is moving. I was just a bit confused, because I kept looking into the other threat :coldsweat:

Thanks for the update!

I would say as they are only to be seen on the inside they could be painted/coloured to the customers preference.
Yes but green with purple spots is going to get costly Chas…
:)

The answer is I can do whatever anyone wants but like everything there's always going to be a cost associated. If I do a whole run of one colour it's more economical.

Yes but green with purple spots is going to get costly Chas…
:)

The answer is I can do whatever anyone wants but like everything there's always going to be a cost associated. If I do a whole run of one colour it's more economical.
What I meant Rich was customers could paint it themselves to whatever colour they wanted, I didn't mean they could request it.

Oh ok, yes that makes sense Chas. They wouldn't take much doing with a rattle can if need be.

Ok folks it's update time again.
Just picked up the prototype pair today. Attached a pair of hinges and a seal each and they don't look half bad in the buff! :icon-surprised:

IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG

Now these are going to be trial fitted into my truck to make sure everything is right. If I need to make any adjustments I can do otherwise it's full steam ahead to produce the remainder of the batch. I've got to rough 'em up a bit before they get painted as I forgot this small request when they were all in the flat.

One change I have made is to go for a slightly different more readily available grade of aluminium. Two benefits apart from availability are its resistance to salt, not that it should ever see any, as it's what they build boats from. Plus it is also very difficult to bend and get to stay there. The fabricator literally put a door under his knee against the floor and put a 120 degree bend in it and it sprang back to exactly where it was before he bent it. I could hardly believe it. So, what this means is on top of the thoughts I have already had on making these as secure as possible against casual theft, this material now means it is more difficult to get in the gullwings than it is the rest of the vehicle. Happy days! :) :dance:

Last edited:
Ok folks it's update time again.
Just picked up the prototype pair today. Attached a pair of hinges and a seal each and they don't look half bad in the buff! :icon-surprised:

View attachment 112784 View attachment 112786

Now these are going to be trial fitted into my truck to make sure everything is right. If I need to make any adjustments I can do otherwise it's full steam ahead to produce the remainder of the batch. I've got to rough 'em up a bit before they get painted as I forgot this small request when they were all in the flat.

One change I have made is to go for a slightly different more readily available grade of aluminium. Two benefits apart from availability are its resistance to salt, not that it should ever see any, as it's what they build boats from. Plus it is also very difficult to bend and get to stay there. The fabricator literally put a door under his knee against the floor and put a 120 bend in it and it sprang back to exactly where it was before he bent it. I could hardly believe it. So, what this means is on top of the thoughts I have already had on making these as secure as possible against casual theft, this material now means it is more difficult to get in the gullwings than it is the rest of the vehicle. Happy days! :) :dance:
Richard,
If you need a hundee, I can supply mine, for a free pair?

Richard,
If you need a hundee, I can supply mine, for a free pair?
It's a very kind offer Werner and I will give it some thought. As it took a long time to get the 80 ones right I would need a hundee on my drive for some time to be able to work on it, and to be able to take it places. I do have one other possible way forward on the 100s that I have been exploring, but the 100 project is on the back burner at the minute as the 80 ones are coming through. I'll let you know when the time comes if I haven't put you off. :)

Am I too late to come to the party ? ......with a change in work the 80 may have to earn her keep for a while....these could be good for a mobile Tank repair 80

Am I too late to come to the party ? ......with a change in work the 80 may have to earn her keep for a while....these could be good for a mobile Tank repair 80
Not at all Grim, all are welcome. Have a look here for the buying thread and let me know if you want me to pop your name down for a pair.
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/80-series-rear-gullwing-doors.143392/
There's also a thread titled 'what have you or intend to put behind your gullwings' (or similar) that would be a good place to show us about the tank repair 80 if and when you do decide to have some.

Back