Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Land Cruiser - 1HDT Electrial Issue after Motor Exchange

elnerdo

Country Flag
new_zealand
So I am after a bit of help with something that has got me stumped. I bought a replacement motor (1HD-T from a 1991 Automatic Land Cruiser) and put it into my land cruiser (1993 1HD-T Manual).

Everything went in fine until I went to hook up the sensors. I noticed I didn't have the sump sensor on the replacement engine so left it off. When I went to turn the starter over to try start the motor it was sluggish (Flat battery).

I stopped trying start it and noticed smoke from the loom that goes to the sensors etc. Pulled it off and found a burnt out wire (White w\ Black) which I am pretty sure is the earth which goes to all the sensors.

Any one got any idea what I might have done wrong or had anything similar happen?

Cheers Maurice

Glowplug short or similar, or mounting for a power post has not got a insulator on it esp if sensor loom shorting

Cheers. Will have a look at that when I get back. Makes sense about the short though.

Check the main earth cable from engine block to chassisis connected, and is making good contact.

I didnt mention this before but the 7.5A fuse for IGN is also blowing if that gives anyone more hints. I was needing to leave to get back to work so was getting a little frustrated towards the end. Hopefully I haven't done any other damage. Will be back to it in a couple days.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you haven't already done so, check Charlie's suggestion first.
Check the main earth cable from engine block to chassisis is connected and is making good contact.

Thanks for all the help fellas. I found the issue. I mad a rookie mistake and forgot to connect the negative for the second battery to the block. I spent about half an hour cleaning and wire brushing all the terminals to ensure they are clean and even put an extra cable in to be sure. Then went to the other side and found the loose cable.

It took a while to get fuel pumping around but she is working well. Just putting it all back together (properly).

However, after burning the wire out I am now left with no warning lights from the sensors when the key is turned to 'ON'. I will check the fuses tomorrow when I finish it off and see what I can find.

10421180_10152688524597400_7994728050616587189_n.jpg

Check the fusible links near the battery.

regards

Dave

Back