Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80-Series overland build - "keep it simple"

Good thinking there Mike. Simple is often best.
Just thinking you might want to add a latch of sorts as well, as you might find in an uphill ascent bouncing over terrain that the gear inside forces past the weight rating of the magnets. Something in behind those outside edges might be easy to access and lock it in place. Just a thought for when getting in amongst it all.
Looks the goods.

Good thinking there Mike. Simple is often best.
Just thinking you might want to add a latch of sorts as well, as you might find in an uphill ascent bouncing over terrain that the gear inside forces past the weight rating of the magnets. Something in behind those outside edges might be easy to access and lock it in place. Just a thought for when getting in amongst it all.
Looks the goods.

Thanks for the suggestion Chris! To be honest, the rear handle is only millimetres away from the inside of the tailgate anyway, but from a security perspective I was thinking of adding some kind of locking mechanism to hold both the lid and front door shut when away from the vehicle anyway, so I'll add that with the tie down points when (the missus) gets round to carpeting it! :)

Last major job before our trip, there was an annoying shake coming through the drivetrain at low revs when cold, and also at idle when warm - turns out the rear gearbox mount was shot, so swapped that out for a very expensive OE new one! Old one was pretty knackered, to be fair:

IMG_2540.JPG

Drives much smoother now, so money well spent I guess! :) Pretty much ready to go now!

I couldn't believe the price either when I had to change mine, but it cured the problem. Usually, IME, the mounts go when saturated with oil, but mine was as dry as a bone.

Well, the trip has been and gone, seems a long while ago now! Car performed faultlessly, of course - you can see some pictures of the trip here

Sadly our plans for a bigger trip next year have been put on hold, and as I won't really be using the car much in the near future I have reluctantly decided to put it up for sale. My ownership journey is fully documented in this thread, but the rest of the details are in the advert here

If you're interested, let me know!

End of a thread, it seems Mike, well almost....

(you may even change your mind :lol:)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mike, it seems a shame after all your set up and work put into it, but that's just the way it works out sometimes.
I hope the next person appreciates all your efforts.
Best of luck with it.
Cheers

Shame you're selling Mike but as you say, the truck's not much use sitting gathering dust. I've enjoyed following this build and I'm glad you've managed to get a trip or so out of the truck.

Good luck with the sale, you'll have to direct the new owner to here (if they're not already a member!). :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words guys! I've enjoyed the build, although I'll definitely be out of pocket financially, of course! :)

I'm not in a mad rush to sell, and living on top of a big hill and with winter on its way I'm not really in a rush to sell, it's always useful to have a 4x4 at that time of year where I live! But if the right person with the right money comes along it makes sense to pass it on. I've had it a year and enjoyed it, and it enabled us to do out first big trip so I'm happy! :)

SOLD! Sad to see the old girl go, but pleased to say the new owners are planning a trip to Mongolia next year, so will still be used as intended :)

Also a big "thank you" to everyone on here for their help and advice along the way, it's a great forum with lots of helpful people and I will still duck in from time to time I'm sure.

Back