Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series pop top overlander

stan

Ive been asked by the German company i represent in the UK what the market would be like for an 80 pop top.. This is a popular choice in Germany, with pop tops being put on 78s and many landrover options.
But since the 80 is the vehicle of choice in the UK whats your thoughts ?
i know cost would be a factor and i am waiting on info on this, but as an all round solution i think the pop top is the way forward as it gives good internal space utilisation whilst retaining the everydayness of the car, and no faffing with the roofrack to get it all put away !
comments please ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 377
Another one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 379
My comment. I want one!

Personally I like them and love the idea. Frankly unless I won the lotto there's no chance. I'm sure they cost a fair amount.

I love it. But my guess is that cost will kill it stone dead. At £25k you could sell a couple but at £60k I doubt you'd take one order. At the £80k they'd probably come in at I'd say you'd be nuts to spend that on a camper. But then we had all those discussion at the weekend didn't we.

I'd like more pics Stan just so I have something else to keep me awake at night.

PS can you sort out my registration please? I haven't had an email back yet.

I'd like to see some interior pics please.

I love it. But my guess is that cost will kill it stone dead. At £25k you could sell a couple but at £60k I doubt you'd take one order. At the £80k they'd probably come in at I'd say you'd be nuts to spend that on a camper. But then we had all those discussion at the weekend didn't we.

I'd like more pics Stan just so I have something else to keep me awake at night.

PS can you sort out my registration please? I haven't had an email back yet.

yep youre right i reckon, keeps me awake too!
ill get some more photos tho..

ive activated the account, strange theres no email come through, ill look into it!

thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pretty impressive. But WHY would you walk around a rig like that and not take a couple of interior pics? Can only guess at the cost,
but way up there I expect. J

Looks like my dream machine, just as soon as my Premium Bonds come up trumps I'll have one but I'd still like to see some interior pics please.

Hmm - nice, but money would put you in Unimog or MAN territory easily. There's easier/better/cheaper ways of overlanding. Can't see the market, IMHO. :whistle:

Hmm - nice, but money would put you in Unimog or MAN territory easily. There's easier/better/cheaper ways of overlanding. Can't see the market, IMHO. :whistle:

Well yes or no, i've got a unimog U1300L and it's so big and slow i bought a LC because i got sick of how slow the unimog is and having to pay constant attention to the portal axles and other parts to make sure nothing overheats. Did the OP quote a price or send a link to the german manufacturer?

I've seen these in the flesh in Germany and I really like them, they are a fantastic solution to a compact camper that can get to very remote places, in high levels of comfort. I considered doing this to my 80 but didn't for two reasons: 1) I couldn't justify the cost 2) My 80 was too nice to chop up.

If I won big on the lottery I'd have one, as I'd much rather live out of a 4x4 than around and on top of one. Plus it would be great to be able to baton down the hatches and sit out any inclement weather, and could be more comfortable to camp in during the colder seasons (I've seen some with blown heating). Its a dream, and its good to have dreams but i think the cost will always keep it as a dream.

Now if you had money to spend, perhaps heading off around the world for several years (retirement?) then you could justify the cost, plus at the end of the trip the vehicle should still sell for good money.

Edit: As Stan has said, these are also popular on Land Rovers and are considerably easier and therefore cheaper. You can unbolt the roof off of a LR110, bolt on the pop top section, then bolt the original roof back on top. If a LR110 was the vehicle for me mine would already have a pop top conversion.

Last edited:
Back