Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series speedometer issues

Marc Vagabond

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
colombia
Hey everyone, sorry, i am sure it's been beaten to death but i can't seem to find the threads on it. 3F engine with auto transmission, speedo doesn't work (i do hear a ticking sound while driving ever so softly) i noticed (when we swapped the engine for a 1FZ) that the sensor on the transmission is both electronic and mechanical. the electronic part branching off into several other areas (i assume transmission control and cruise control) and the mechanical part going to my dashboard speedo. so dashboard speedo does nothing, and my cruise control doesn't work either (light goes on when i activate it, but it won't engage, presumably because it doesn't see i am driving over 50 kph or some threshold it must have) what does the collective mind here know about this, and how can it be fixed, where can this part be gotten ? Many thanks !!

Can you elaborate? Year of vehicle? Was it working before changing the engine/gearbox? If it is mixed mechanical and electrical then you may have a cable drive to the speedometer 'head', and is passed through the electronic sensor? The cable systems often 'tick' when the cable has broken, the ticking being as the broken halves catching each other. Has the speedometer been removed recently?

Regards

Dave

gladly: 1994 car. wasn't working before engine swap either. afaik speedometer wasn't removed during engine swap. i'll open it up next chance i get (january) to see if cable spins smoothly, or not at all ! will update after that :)

Back