Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series starter motor failure discussion

Hi

If you look at "AES" website under battery master switch you will see Lucas SSB111. This is the one I used. 250 amps continuous or 2500 amps for 5 secs !! I bolted mine to the top of the fuel filter just using one hole. It is designed, however, so that nose of the switch goes through a hole you have cut in the bulkhead so that the key is in the car and the wiring the other side. I could not see an easy way with mine. What do you think?

Frank

Frank, I'd be iterested in that too, so if you've got the time to dig up the info and a picture, that would be great.

Good 'ol Tapatalk

Sorry about all the posts. I deleted........but obviosly can't!

Frank

{Cleaned up for you, Frank - Andrew}

Last edited by a moderator:
Bringing an old thread back to life:

Ive had the sticking starter motor issue, cleaned out the plunger and contacts and thought it had gone away.

Jetwashing the car the other day after a very muddy off road session, I was around the back and smelt burning, looked at the front and the starter was smoking away at the main cable and also at a smaller black wire on the second battery.

The interesting bit is that I also have a "E" stop in line to stop the starter motor running off. It seems because the stater could not draw current through the main cable it tried the solenoid low tension.

Any body have any ideas?

The cable plug near to the start relay was also uncomfortably warm to hold.

I wish I had, when mine went that way, I was at Frickley off road having a cuppa. Next thing it was on fire. I had to pull the battery connections and drop the motor in the field. Came home on a big flat bed. Looked to me like some sort of shorting issue. The solenoid had actually melted in places and the copper contact plates basically just fell out. I really can't say what happened in a technical sense but it does sound like the same thing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Found my smoking gun! (literally).

As I posted above, I doubted the reason my starter motor turnover continuously was the solenoid as I had clean it out and made the copper bits reasonably good.

So, logic says look at other parts:

20130923_171451 (Medium).jpg

Starter relay with the cover off - very crusty inside with one decayed "off contact" spring.

20130923_174806 (Medium).jpg

So a clean up and a new spring (and some paint inside the cover) working as good as new.

Although it looks like a sealed unit, mine was wet through inside with rust and mud in there!
This is a very easy 20 minute check which could stop the car trying to start itself or short out the wiring into a fire.

Last edited:
Sorry, where exactly is that? I don't think I have ever dismantled one of those before. given what I do with mine, I could have one in shocking condition.

On the passenger inside wing Chris, just next to the glow plug relay.

It has a larger round black connector and a slightly smaller white round connector (both two wires).

As an added precaution I have also mounted mine upside down now just in case the spring fails it "should" fail safe to open by gravity!?

Always wondered what they were. :oops:

Right, I shall be in there at first light.

Be interested in your findings Chris :shock:
BTW... Im hoping to go to Frickley on the 6th Oct with Hull 4x4 if your about!

Frickers eh. Been twice, had two disasters. 2nd time starter motor caught fire, first time the truck caught fire and that was that. 3rd time's the charm? I like it. There are some great climbs. I have some stuff on You Toob. It's a site of two halves really.

I like the site also, plenty to do without looking too far..... I went last month - ended up LandRover and Ibex bashing :whistle:

Frickers eh. Been twice, had two disasters. 2nd time starter motor caught fire, first time the truck caught fire and that was that. 3rd time's the charm? I like it. There are some great climbs. I have some stuff on You Toob. It's a site of two halves really.

Took a bit of finding but there you are Chris, making it look so easy!

http://youtu.be/vjjlNLH9_28

Oh there a much better climb than that one. That was just for the camera. You wouldn't think tit was going to go up after 3 mins of trying and then ........

Back