Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80series94 blows fuse

Second737

Country Flag
australia
I have problem . The 15 amp fuse blows in the EFI near the battery .it happens as soon as I start the motor . In runs for 10 seconds then stops. When I check the fuse it's blown. I have replaced the EFI solenoid near the fuse to no avail.
I have checked most wire nearby including the LPG wiring to see if they are earthing to no avail. The one thing I have done recently is put a new clutch in. I took the gearbox out also the sump of to put new mains and big ends and front and rear seals also seals in gearbox.
The problem stopped the cruiser after doing 80 Kim .Then again at approx 40 Klm then only went down the drive before it blew.
Any suggestion please.
kind regards Ashley

First have a fire extinguisher to hand, dealing with electrical problems can be 'iffy' at the best of times, next a handful of fuses, before starting have a good sniff around for any fuel odours, and no work carried out in enclosed spaces...blah blah.Wiring trapped or rubbed through? Traveling awhile then blowing gradually getting worse is a classic 'rubbing through insulation' scenario. The oh so classic place for this problem to occur on petrol versions of the 80 is between the bulkhead and rear of the cylinder head where the efi harness wiring runs, the fact that you have been working in exactly that area then that is where I would start. Allowing for sod's law and the gearbox/sump work are red herrings and in fact you have not damaged/trapped the wiring then you have to become Sherlock Holmes and start a careful investigation. Try replacing the fuse and switching on the ignition but NOT starting the engine. If it blows then you have a dead short, turn off and replace the fuse, move the wiring harness from it's natural position and switch on the ignition again, if the fuse does not blow you are in the right place, if it blows only when you start the engine then there are a couple of possibilities apart from the aforementioned rubbing through and a cable rubbing on the block (earth), the first is a fault in the fuel pump, the pump does not run continuously but only for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on, it then stops and waits for the 'crank' signal. So, try disconnecting the power supply to the fuel pump, then using a separate battery power up the fuel pump (via a fuse), then start the engine in the normal way, if the vehicle fuse blows then it is not the pump, if the fuse blows from your separate battery then the pump is the issue.Next try disconnecting the pump relay, again with your bypassed fuel pump you can run the engine and see if the fuse blows again, this is very trial and error but you must eliminate these potential points of failure. In the event that you still cannot find the fault then you may need to call in outside help. Try the above first you never know your luck,regardsDave

Back