Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series explained

warrenpfo

Can someone explain the diesel models to me please.

I have managed to gleam that they where produced between 1996 and 2002. With a change in engine in 2000 but not sure what changed and which engine is better.

I see you can get a VX, GX, FX and TX in spec but have no idea what the differences are.

I was also wondering apart form service history being important and general body rust if there are any particular points to look out for.

Lastly when is the timing belt due for a change on these things?

Warren
I had a TX which was a import. it had the 3.0d kzte i think but it had the intercooler on it ( big difference ). the jap ones have a electric fuel pump and a early form of dianogstics that nobody can read.
TX has cloth but climate control and most of toys you would like.

can help with anything else.

do you have whats app on your phone so i can send you the pictures of the salibury plan road book. Pm me your number

stu.

I can't remember what the timing belt intervals are but on the 1kzte it is a 15minute job.

VX - Leather, Electronic AC control, sunroof, Higher base model bassically...
GX- Mid model - Cloth Interior, manual adjustment for AC control
FX - Base model, no plastic wheel flares - no AC
TX - One of a Import model which can vary in spec.

There are two diesel engine choices, the 1KZT-E and D4D lump. The 1KZT-E engine is in the 1996-2000, and D4D is 2000-2002. 1999+ models onwards had a facelift front including clear head lamps, different Bumper with intergrated fog lights. A more modern look...

The service interval for the timing belt is every 70,000 Miles. I haven't got one spot of rust on my body and I've not heard of any general area's these rust. Just like most UK cars, chack underneath for rust. The tank guard and sump guard can rust through if they haven't been looked after.

The service interval for the timing belt is every 70,000 Miles. I haven't got one spot of rust on my body and I've not heard of any general area's these rust. Just like most UK cars, chack underneath for rust. The tank guard and sump guard can rust through if they haven't been looked after.
I have an FX and it isn't that basic, It's got aircon, electric windows and fully electric mirrors. The seats are a very smart hard wearing cloth and it has narrower wheels which save me a fortune in tyres although the downsides are certain body parts are harder to come by and it doesn't have cruise control.
If you go off the on dash warnings then cam belt is every 90K miles but I wouldn't leave it that long and as it only takes 20 minutes to change, I do mine every 3 or so years, or I will do.

D-4-d cambelt is every 90k or 5 years also very easy on this engine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
VX - Leather, Electronic AC control, sunroof, Higher base model bassically...
GX- Mid model - Cloth Interior, manual adjustment for AC control
TX - One of a Import model which can vary in spec.

There are two diesel engine choices, the 1KZT-E and D4D lump. The 1KZT-E engine is in the 1996-2000, and D4D is 2000-2002. 1999+ models onwards had a facelift front including clear head lamps, different Bumper with intergrated fog lights. A more modern look...

What about the GS???

Toyota are very strange with there Model range. Even though I listed those as a base guide, some VX features I have seen on GX models and vice versa all over the range so I it's quite complicated.

Toyota are very strange with there Model range. Even though I listed those as a base guide, some VX features I have seen on GX models and vice versa all over the range so I it's quite complicated.

About 1999/2000 they did a slight facelift which is when the GX got some of the VX featues like fog lamps etc

some uk vx models came with a winter pack - heated seats, headlamp washers & twin batteries - im not sure if the "idle up " button that increases the tickover is standard on other models but its a great toy as the increase in revs will warm up the engine whist you finish your morning cuppa:icon-biggrin:

Well I've got the Idle up on my GX so imagine it's somewhat standard. And I believe the facelift Bumper with fogs and clear Headlamps came on all 1999+ models...

I reckon the only real difference with any of these trucks is the engine , badges are just marketing tools they bulit an all singing all dancing every gizmo top of the range 4x4 and sold as many as they could at a premium price , then when sales peaked and fell into decline they removed a few bits slapped a new badge on it and dropped the price so sales picked up again . All manufacturers do it to extend the sales life of new cars . The spec varies so much because a base spec model can have anything from the top spec model added at the buyers request .

I have a GX 1KZ-TE with leather seats , push button aircon and diff's all round - but no sunroof means it can't have a VX badge spec is just the salesman's bargaining chip .

Very true Shayne.

However what the different models do provide, at least for UK ones, is a starting point. You'll know what the basic spec will be for a FX/GX/VX etc. Obviously some will have different options, but on the whole, you'll have a good idea what you'll get as standard.

Shayne does yours have afront locker? if it does very odd model
stu

No Stu a front locker was never a factory option but the rear diff is optional while the centre diff is standard on all models , i was just pointing out that the lack of a sunroof results in a different badge . Funny world we live in a pair of £15 Dunlop training shoes cost far more to make than a pair of £150 Nike's but the badge is all people care about :wtf:

Rear locker is standard equipment on all uk spec 90's it was never an optional extra. Most of the rest of the world got an lsd. Fully open rear diff was never an option.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

And a front locker was an option in certain countries, but very very few have this option.

Back