Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series handbrake

Shayne

Guru
Found plenty of in depth rebuild guides so i have posted this in the lounge as a quick question hoping for a quick answer .

I have never had a problem with my handbrake i have adjusted it twice at the lever in all the time i have owned the truck . It needs adjusting again and i wont do it at the lever so the plan is to remove back wheels , lift the lever to half way and wind up the adjustment cog .

Will this quick fix work (i have about an hour of daylight left) or shall i put the job off until i have time for it to go wrong ?

HaHa- no its not quick unless you are an octopus.

Gotta do mine before MOT this year at the moment I leave it in gear :D

So what's the quick way then , i don't need to rebuild even now it will hold my truck solid while in neutral on a very steep hill . I had a look through the access hole last time wheels were off and i'm inclined to think there are new parts in there already . If it ain't broke don't fix it but the lever is at the limit of its adjustment so something has to be done .

not sure, when I last did mine I followed a guide on here

Best thing to do Shayne, and this is what I did... Back off the adjustment on the actual handbrake to give some slack. Then remove the back wheels and wind the cog so the shoes push further out. Whilst adjusting both sides, work the handbrake and the tension should be a good indicator on the bite they have. Once you're happy put back on the wheels and try it out. You'll also now have some adjustment left in the actual handbrake for future adjustments. Everything takes time, a job like this can be half hour. However, I do recommend actually removing the discs and checking the condition of things inside there. Grease up the springs, clean out all the dust ect.

I've still got all my original shoes and my handbrake after doing this adjustment is better then ever.

Thanks Beau i got the wheels off and backed off the lever adjustment fully after posting and i can afford half hour in the morning . I need the truck constantly right now so don't want to play with anything unless i have to .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Crispin it should have been titled handbrake quick fix as i'm sure it would be of help to others .

Chock front wheels , loosen rear wheels then jack it up for axle stands .

Remove lock nut under your handbrake gator (i find an 11mm spanner on the bottom nut makes breaking the lock easy) and bring the adjuster nut to the top .

Handbrake off remove the wheels and turn the hub until you can see through the disk hole at the very bottom .

With a flat head screwdriver i got 3 cog teeth turned upwards before i could not turn the hub by hand and put the wheels back on .

The handbrake lever was still slack with no resistance at this point so i wound down the adjuster nut under the gator until the lever came firm slightly above seat height .

I drove around the block then to test for binding i allowed the truck to crawl up hill on idle no throttle at all .

All good replaced the lock nut job done :thumbup:

Shayne and or Beau, how do you adjust the two bolts on the pivot on the outside of the brake back plates, the ones with the lock nuts on, are they adjusted when the brake is on or off and what position should they end up at?

Same here, I didn't adjust those either.

Back