90 series mods and repairs FAQ

Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

Bodhi

I am in wales
Dec 4, 2013
North Wales
Is there something wrong with the links as when I click on any of them I just get taken to the index page? Used to work for me?

Richie

Pat

I am in new_zealand
Jun 3, 2014
Kumeu
Beau has a video on removing a 1kzte and it is absolutely brilliant.The only other thing I would do next time is take plenty of photos so you do not make any mistakes when reassembling.Please add vid to the tech thread.

Prodo90

May 29, 2015
Auto Transmission problem

Hi There I own a 3.4 petrol auto Prado and wanted to know who in the Cape Town area would be the best to advise me on the following.

Auto gearbox gives a solid knock when reverse is engaged. A similar less intense knock I'd felt when putting it into Drive.

The second major problem is the terrible vibration when driving. The vibration disappears when the petrol is released. FYI I have had the propshaft knuckle repairs but now I'm not sure whether the guy messed up doing the job. The forums advice would be highly appreciated. [emoji1]

Shayne

Supporter
Guru
Feb 2, 2013
South Wales UK
Well done Beau and keep it up i hope your vids will one day give me the courage to strip and rebuild my truck :clap:

Beau

I am in guyana
Jan 28, 2011
Milton keynes
Well done Beau and keep it up i hope your vids will one day give me the courage to strip and rebuild my truck :clap:
Thanks Shayne! Hopefully your engine has hundreds of thousand more miles left on it before you need to be thinking of a rebuild :lol:

Shayne

Supporter
Guru
Feb 2, 2013
South Wales UK
Blasted arms :angry-screaming:

Blasted arms 001.JPG

I took them off and had a play and then i thought no there's a pro classic car restoration place down the road who are bound to have the proper tools for the job and i have plenty of other stuff to do .

They've had them more than a week so i went down to be told they can't do it but they have blasted them for me and i was led to a shed where they were buried in grit and despite being specifically asked to do so they hadn't even taped off the wheels bearings such is the professionalism around here :icon-rolleyes:

Anyway i'm about to start butchering with a hacksaw , grinder and a hammer because i am replacing all ball joints and bushes before they go back in and while on tea break i thought i would post this up to see if anyone has any tool purchase suggestions ?

Last edited:

Shayne

Supporter
Guru
Feb 2, 2013
South Wales UK
And today's lesson on how not to do things .

I first tried welding a bar on hoping to twist the lower control arm bush out but all i got was fire and the weld wouldn't take , i'm a crap welder so it might have done had i persisted but i wasn't sure it was the best way forward anyway .

Instead i put the Toyota in jack in (its the only one i have small enough to fit) and cut the ends off the inner sleeve , and low and behold this worked = progress :eusa-dance:

A moment later i realized i couldn't remove the jack :doh:I should have put a socket or something on top of it because it has a mushroom like head :cry:

Blasted arm 2 002.JPG

Hence another tea break which has allowed me to work out i can jack the jack out if i wedge the arm under the tow hitch or something , with the socket between of course :shifty:

Shayne

Supporter
Guru
Feb 2, 2013
South Wales UK
And after much time wasted trying to remedy my earlier mistake eventually removing the Toyota jack with a farm jack and socket and lots of and lots of failed balancing acts because i'm not an octopus .

It's out without buying any tools .

Blasted arms 3 001.JPG
Blasted arms 3 003.JPG

Now i have a plan instead of making it up as i go along i hope the other 7 bushes will be out in the same time frame as it took me to do the first one .

Beau

I am in guyana
Jan 28, 2011
Milton keynes
Shayne, I literally just did this bush last week. Wasn't as bad as I expected. One slit on that outer sleeve was all I needed to remove the tension and hit it out. Penetrating oil is your best friend here too. What are you replacing them with by the way?

Shayne

Supporter
Guru
Feb 2, 2013
South Wales UK
I seen yours Beau i was going to ask if you can think of any tools that might help but figured i might be finished before i get a reply from you in your new time zone hence i posted here instead . I got Whiteline bushes .

For dismantling the rust remover i use has replaced penetrating oil completely .

I should note that the second one was out in maybe 20 minutes because i put a bolt in the bush with a 17mm socket on it for the jack to seat against .

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks