Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 Series Prado 4WD selector jammed

Jack1968

Country Flag
australia
I have a question about my 90 series Prado. I live in Western Australia… I have just had the rear main seal replaced and now my 4WD selector is jammed… could this have been caused by the rear main seal work? The 4WD selector was working fine before the work was done.

For sure - you need to remove the transfer case and transmission to replace the rear main seal. And if it was fine before chances are something has gone astray during reassembly.

I’ll let you know
Good luck!
Hi again. I got my 4WD shifter moving again. The mechanic said that they hadn’t put things back correctly after the replace of the rear main seal.

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1. When in High Ratio (H), the selector seems to be locked in place… when I shift to high Ratio - Locked (HL), the selector seems to have a lot of play in it, it doesn’t seem to be locked in a particular position… Is this normal?

2. Second question- there are no lights appearing on the dashboard to indicate which position H, HL, etc… why is this? Is it a globe, a fuse, a relay???

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't think there are indicators for the range just if the centre diff is locked or not but you need to drive some distance (a few hundred metres) to get it to lock.

If it's auto then you should see an A/T P light when the transmission is in P and the transfer case is in neutral. If you aren't seeing this light then it's possible they haven't plugged in some switches etc.

There isn't much play in my 4wd shifter but I think it hasn't been used much.

Don't think there are indicators for the range just if the centre diff is locked or not but you need to drive some distance (a few hundred metres) to get it to lock.

If it's auto then you should see an A/T P light when the transmission is in P and the transfer case is in neutral. If you aren't seeing this light then it's possible they haven't plugged in some switches etc.

There isn't much play in my 4wd shifter but I think it hasn't been used much.
Thanks so much again

Just wondering what this part of the exhaust is and how/should I fix it??? - 1999 auto petrol Prado

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 22
That's the crossover pipe. Connects the passenger side exhaust manifold under the transmission into to the exhaust system.

That's the crossover pipe. Connects the passenger side exhaust manifold under the transmission into to the exhaust system.
My mechanic said this??? See below??? Is that the same? He said it’s not a problem??? Is he correct?
that section of exhaust is just a heat shield casing around the section post cat converter.

I guess that's possible, my one does look thinner. However the Australian market ones do not have catalytic converters or even oxygen sensors so the exhaust system is likely to be different.

Yes, just a heatshield, I have the same one on my V6. I tied some galvanised wire around mine in a few places ten years ago to stop it rattling and falling off. It's never moved since.

Yes, just a heatshield, I have the same one on my V6. I tied some galvanised wire around mine in a few places ten years ago to stop it rattling and falling off. It's never moved since.
Thanks so much

What does it mean when these lights stay on when I’m driving? Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpeg
    IMG_0658.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 10
Alternator isn't charging the battery. The rest (brake, filter) are on because of this.

First step is to measure the voltage on the battery with the motor running. If this is less than 13.5v then something is causing the alternator not to work.

Could be duff battery, broken belt or wiring or something wrong with the alternator like worn brushes or a diode pack.

Would not recommend driving too far unless you know it's charging. If it's just running on the battery this will give out at some point and the car will stall out. If it's been like this for days and you've done many km and still starts and drives then it's probably charging so fair enough.

I've had the same issue before and it was alternator brushes.

Back