Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 Series Transfer Case Oil Leak

silvercruiser said:
Nice one Tony i was going to do this job today but when i looked i had ordered the wrong seal and also thanks to you i didnt realise it had another seal behind the flange so il get this on order. Joe

If you have not already done so, I would also order a new nut. The inner seal was in a ok condition and could probably have gone back in.

My landcrusier has got a leaking transfer box at same place..

it weeped a while ago then stopped, but now got worse as i noticed a patch of oil on my gravel drive, thought it was the landy that delivered wood the other day :p
but smelt it and it was diff oil, so took a look under landcruiser and its definitely transfer box leak at front output

i had already ordered the inner seal months ago, which i think is most important - i didnt know there was a second outer seal at the time...?
i.e. i ordered this one as Tony showed
1004403786_U8AR6-M.jpg

can you fit this inner without knackering the outer seal with the big lip?

but i haven't got this "outer" one:
1004404084_WyosE-M.jpg

or maybe i should just order the other seal and nut anyway

Andy, you can change them independently so if it's in good condition you can leave it alone, but seeing as you are going in there, for the price of a seal i would replace it. Would defo get a new nut though....

Dug around the garage, and found the seal i got from roughtrax a while ago and its a genuine toyota seal, i pulled off the roughtrax part no. sticker and found: part no: 90311-41012 on a "toyota genuine parts" sticker

now i expected it to be 90311-41009, but a quick google of "90311-41012"

showed its correct:

90311-41008 SEAL, OIL (FOR TRANSFER CASE)
Replaced by: 90311-41012

not sure the other seal (90312-23001) is really needed, and in past on my 4runner i replaced 3 of these seals and manged with a bit of care to re-use the original nut.

put about 150ml of oil in the transfer box to top it up,
so will have to get on with this next weekend, not using the vehicle much this week.

Had a couple of hours today so set about doing my output seal, I tried using my breaker bar again to remove the nut but could not shift it, so out came the compressor and impact gun and in a jiffy it was off so if your going to do this job i do recommend an impact wrench.
I replaced both seals and got a new nut as well so thanks again to Mr Rubie for the parts and also thanks to Tony for being the guinea pig on this thread :thumbup:

Joe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back