Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

91 GLX 80 Series. Trying to add remote locking. Strange Phenomenon. HELP?

RonJon

Country Flag
canada
Hi, All

I'm trying to add an aftermarket remote door lock feature to my 91 GLX 80 Series.

I bought a remote door lock kit off eBay. It came with a control unit, and 4 lock actuators.

Each actuator is powered by 2 wires. The system works by sending either a pos/neg to the actuators or a neg/pos to the same actuator to make it do the opposite. The aftermarket system is powered by a positive and negative lead as well.

I chose not to use the actuators, and tried to wire it directly into my central locking module, to get it to trigger the factory actuators in the truck.

Before diving in, I did some research on the system and found that it is trigged by a negative signal, for both lock or unlock., so I had to figure out how to get the locks triggered with the aftermarket system.

Since the module has 2 wires coming out of it for actuation, and each would be in negative phase at one point, I thought I could wire each lead into the factory system, one for lock and one for unlock. Since each lead could switch to positive phase, I had to ensure that the positive signal did not end up in the system. I used a diode do do this, so that the negative could flow, but the positive coming from the aftermarket box would be blocked.

I tapped into the blue/black (lock) and the Blue Yellow (unlock) leads in the factory system. The power came from the Thick blue lead, and the Ground came from the White/Yellow line. Once this was done, I then plugged into the aftermarket box into the loom. I tested the system and it seemed to work fine. The lock button on the remote locked the doors, and the unlock button did its job too.

Strangely though, every once in a while and randomly, there was an intermittent lock or unlock signal coming from the FACTORY unit and triggering the locks, even while the aftermarket unit was not being triggered by the remotes. This happened even if the positive power lead of the aftermarket unit is disconnected. This is clearly not a good thing, since the car could unlock or lock itself randomly.

The issue is inconsistent, and all the trouble shooting results in strange results. The only time the system behaves is if I disconnect the aftermarket module entirely by unplugging the harness from it. Then the main locks are ok.
As soon as I plug the aftermarket harness back into the added module, the phenomenon starts again.

Any ideas? Anyone done this before?

I had a similar problem when fitting my alarm system, a real PITA! Eventually I run the two (lock/unlock) wires into the door via the pillar, lifted the main door/window control and tapped into the switch wiring before it entered the plug. No diodes needed, that was around 6 years ago and still good, easier and no ambiguity with the wiring.

regards

Dave

Sounds a bit like trying to connect apples to oranges. To me. You really need two relays, one with a diode one way the other the opposite way. Then connect the relay coils and diodes together and to the pair coming from your after market locking unit. Then take a -ve to both the Common switch contacts of the relays and two wires, one from each relay from the NO to the door where you will be able to link into the switch wires for the factory locking.

Back