Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

96 prado autobox problems

cavanmick

Country Flag
ireland
Hi folks, chap in the garage next to me in work has a a 96 3.0 prado in with a gear fault.
It drives perfectly when its cold and can be fine for up to fifty miles, then it will start not changing up and holding on to the gears for far longer than usual, it will change up eventually but sometimes you have to plant the boot to get the box to change the gear, its had the oil changed twice so far but has made no difference.
Anyone on here come accross similar.
Thanks a mill.

Has anything mixed with the Transmission fluid, water? I know some guys get this problem when coolants been in the box as well. If nothings contaminated the fluid then it's strange.

However, and this is a long shot, there is a earth wire for the autobox that runs and gets earthed somewhere near the Oil filter. This wire wasn't earthed properly for me by someone at a grage and the box would be slow to change gears and move from standstill. Actually quite dangerous, but yeah, make sure all wires and earths are connected properly.

Also, if he tries to manually shift through the box using L 2 D, does that work, or is it still slow?

Thanks beau, I would not think it's contamination as its had two oil changes now and made no difference, I will certailny get him to check alk earths etc. Thanks buddy.

Did he do a complete ATF flush, or just a drain and top up? What does the coolant look like after the engine's run for a minute or two?

Not too sure what way he did it buddy, will ask him and find out, again im not sure about the coolant but will find out, thanks for the suggestions.

One more thing - make sure to check atf when hot, and add more atf if needed. When checking atf cold, full difference between hot - cold could be almost 1L.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back