Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A few v8 questions!

Zeusv8

Having owned my 2002 v8 for a few months now I've noticed a few things I'd like to change or improve!
1. Is there an induction kit that will give the v8 more low speed acceleration, as in when doing 40 mph or so the engine can be a bit hesitant unless you plant the boot causing the gearbox to drop two gears!!! I'm not looking for a race ready car just a bit more responsive,maybe a kit that can be switched on/off.
2. I think the gearbox is hydraulic but not sure, is it normal for it to be clunky, thumpy when drive is engaged and it first starts to move? Almost like something is slow to engage?
It's ok through the gears but any time it drops a gear it's a bit thumpy!
3. The satnav is pants so I'm going to change it, will a standard double din stereo fit?
And finally I've read up on a second battery install and might do this during the induction kit install. Do I need to use an auto electrician to do this??

Thanks for your time, James

K&N do an induction kit but couldn't say what difference it will make besides making more noise ;) Saying the engine can be hesitant suggests a fault to me rather than needing go faster bits :) If you're sure it's running as it should then some Pacemaker headers and a nice free flowing exhaust system will get you going a bit faster but it isn't cheap.

The gearbox uses hydraulics but is primarily controlled by an ECU that activates solenoids inside the gearbox. The gear change should be nice and smooth even if you kick down not clunky. What you describe isn't normal :(

Can't be 100% about the sat nav without seeing what you've got.

Wether or not you need to use the services of an auto electrician to install a 2nd battery depends on your own skills? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help Jon I'll look into the pacemaker stuff! The satnav is the original Toyota flip out one with cd changer in the centre console but I might just leave it for now.
Just one last thing, might be a total noob question but how do I engage 4wd or lock the centre diff?? I used to own a surf that had a switch on the side of the 4l4h select lever! The amazon just has vsc off switch and high neutral and low, smaller stick beside the shift stick!
Thanks again for your time! :D

VSC off switch is a new one one me, you sure about that, or are you talking about the switch that should be under the hazard button which is the centre diff lock. It's a permanent 4 wheel drive so nothing to select for that :)

I got my Pacemaker headers from Overland Cruisers.

The button under the hazard one says vsc, so when pressed a light on the dash says vsc off. I have no button for the diff or any other 4wd options so now I'm a bit confused!!! Lol

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is yours a UK model or an import? Got a picture of your dash? Maybe yours locks when you put the extra, short lever into L which is for 'off road' type driving situations.

Zeusv8 said:
The button under the hazard one says vsc, so when pressed a light on the dash says vsc off. I have no button for the diff or any other 4wd options so now I'm a bit confused!!! Lol
SORRY mate I've just realised I'm a muppet! The centre diff automatically switches off the vsc!! :oops: :oops:

Zeusv8 said:
Zeusv8 said:
SORRY mate I've just realised I'm a muppet! The centre diff automatically switches off the vsc!! :oops: :oops:
I'll get me coat!!

Back