Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A tale of two toe's

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
After 5 days in the sticks off-grid (in the peak District), was on my way home and stopped at a friend's place. They are redoing their place and had a half done staircase. Slipped 10 steps, dislocated my big toe and the little one on the right foot.

Had the presence of mind to reinsert them ASAP and stretch so it does not get jammed. And while in a fair bit of pain, was able to complete the journey home ( and then goto a&e etc).

Reason I am.posting here.... It was the off-grid prep we do and the confidence we develop in situational awareness that really helped me yesterday.

Overlanding / off-grid prep is something that really helps in day to day as well.

After 5 days in the sticks off-grid (in the peak District), was on my way home and stopped at a friend's place. They are redoing their place and had a half done staircase. Slipped 10 steps, dislocated my big toe and the little one on the right foot.

Had the presence of mind to reinsert them ASAP and stretch so it does not get jammed. And while in a fair bit of pain, was able to complete the journey home ( and then goto a&e etc).

Reason I am.posting here.... It was the off-grid prep we do and the confidence we develop in situational awareness that really helped me yesterday.

Overlanding / off-grid prep is something that really helps in day to day as well.

Ouch!

I stubbed my toe the other day, doing no lasting damage at all, but bloody hell, it really did hurt, and for ages after.

Good post, such awareness can really make a difference in an emergency.

Nothing so extreme, I know, but a paramedic once commented to me that most people that die in a public place, do so with an average of 10 people looking on, watching them die.

Ouch!

I stubbed my toe the other day, doing no lasting damage at all, but bloody hell, it really did hurt, and for ages after.

Good post, such awareness can really make a difference in an emergency.

Nothing so extreme, I know, but a paramedic once commented to me that most people that die in a public place, do so with an average of 10 people looking on, watching them die.
Ow ow ow! I stubbed mine so hard it lost the nail about a year ago and that was air blueing hopping about painful. I can't imagine having dislocated toes AND putting them back in. I would hope somebody else would do it while I was passed out! It's the ligament pain that takes so long to completely go. About 6 months in the case of my twisted and broken finger.
Not good KB, not good at all! Arnica and frozen peas helps.

Sounds painfull! Well done for clicking 'em back in.

Where abouts in the peaks were you kb?

I can confirm, this hurts like hell. There are no fractures though, i.e ligaments torn.

The bruising around the toe sockets is quite bad, a few shades of maroon. The frozen peas have been helping keep the settling down.

Mike, was around Matlock. Just of the Chatsworth estate.

Matlock, so why didn't you call in. My daughter goes to school in Matlock and of course Milners is there too. Frankly I'm hurt.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, your always welcome for a brew if you have the time, nice to see what youve done with the drawers.

remembers you dont do brews..:)

Ouch indeed. Well done with the quick reactions and for getting yourself home.

Good luck with the recovery.

How did you get them back in, stamp on them with the remaining good foot ? Ha Ha Ha.
It makes me squirm just thinking about it Frank. Knowing how much it hurt when I've twisted my fingers and stubbed my big toe I reckon KB deserves a medal for bravery! :clap:
I wouldn't mind betting he didn't utter any swear words either! :angry-screaming:
That alone would deserve a medal!

Where abouts in the peaks were you kb?

PEAK. not Peaks. Its not named after mountain peaks cause there aren't any here. Its named after an ancient tribe called the Pect who once lived here many many hears ago and modern language has varied the name. Therefore you can't pluauralise it. Its like the Himalaya - the name stays the same in the pluralised version.

Its a minor point, unless you live in Derbyshire, when it becomes so stupidly important in your life you feel the need to tell anyone who will listen on online forums :):):):)

GoK were you at the Chatsworth campsite? Next time you're up let us know and we'll meet up for a cuppa.

Matlock, so why didn't you call in. My daughter goes to school in Matlock and of course Milners is there too. Frankly I'm hurt.

For some reason I always thought you were closer to Doncaster!

This was a bit last minute and i didn't have time to ping anyone.

Hope to be back soon though and will definitely catch up.

How did you get them back in, stamp on them with the remaining good foot ? Ha Ha Ha.

I was pretty much at a 9/10 pain threshold at the time. The digits were literally 90 deg offset but straight up. So they were already lined up, in a manner. Just needed enough pressure to straighten to normal position and they slid back in. Ligaments torn all over the place.

My BP at the time must have been sky high.

Definitely deserve a medal for that! Sounds rather painful that's for sure.
Did you get out on any of the lanes round that way?

PEAK. not Peaks. Its not named after mountain peaks cause there aren't any here. Its named after an ancient tribe called the Pect who once lived here many many hears ago and modern language has varied the name. Therefore you can't pluauralise it. Its like the Himalaya - the name stays the same in the pluralised version.

Its a minor point, unless you live in Derbyshire, when it becomes so stupidly important in your life you feel the need to tell anyone who will listen on online forums :):):):)

GoK were you at the Chatsworth campsite? Next time you're up let us know and we'll meet up for a cuppa.
I was born in buxton and brought up in buxworth. ive walked or mountain biked pretty much every decent trail from gradbach to hathersage and everything in between.

I much prefer the gritstone of the dark peak to the limestone of the white, gives much better grip even in the wet. I'm one of the few people who have been down titan, google it..

the peaks/peak thing only seems to bother people who have moved into the area. they research it before they move here, we call them life style villagers.. you know the ones, with shares in farrow and ball...:icon-biggrin:

This theory the Peak District name is not quite right, actually. 'Pecsaetan' means the (Anglo-Saxon) 'Settlers of the Pec', the Celtic name for the area we now call the Peak. And, contrary to what some pundits claim, Peak does mean 'pointy/peaked' and has exactly the same derivation as the word Pic in Europe (eg. the Pyrennees and France). Also a whole lot of other anglo-saxon and norse words have a similar origin eg pick, peck, pike, spike, prick, beak.;)

chapel gate, named after arguable one of the greatest downhills in the peaks, you know the one that leads up to rushup edge along to roych clough than the top of Jacobs ladder and down into hayfield? typing this with his tongue firmly in cheek:icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Back