Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS

stu

ABS coming on at low speed braking any history of this problem

Could you be a bit more specific as to what model you have. Its a good idea to add it to your signature. Also this problem has been discussed on the forum before, do a search in the 80 series section (if thats the one you have)

Yes lots. If it's an 80. Known problem. Just as you come almost to a halt? ABS sensors.

Like Rob wisely say, try a search in the 80 section.

Chris

It wont be the abs sensors causing the problem, they are working fine.

It's one of two things, either the wheel bearings need adjusting, or the bush at the end of CV joint is foobarred, or both. Jack up on the front axle if there is lots of play/wobble in the wheels there lies your problem.

If a sensor is failed you'll get an ABS light on & no ABS ;)

Sorry Capt. That's not actually quite correct. When the sensors start to lose their magnetism, which they do, they don't fault the ABS system, the simply don't detect the ABS ring so well and cut the ASB in when you don't need it. You can remove the shim on the body and get the sensor closer to the ASB ring which gives you a bit more life out of them.

All of the other things you say are true indeed, but the phosphor bronze sleeve wear thing is, in my view, actually rarer than is made out to be. Bearings out of adjustment is one easy thing to look at, but I'd have my money on the sensor. It's very common and given the symptoms of it doing it just as you come to a halt is classic. Could be a combination of all three. Worth a look and a clean too. As bits of metal build up on the end of the magnet it errm, sort of dilutes what little magnetism's left. Worth cleaning the plug on the top of the ABS sensor too. Could be muck and water in there preventing a good contact.

Main dealer only sells the sensors with the whole loom at around £600 from memory.

Chris

Yup, that's my problem too, O/S/F wheel, but it doesn't happen all the time, just now and again, but I've got used to it now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is something that Muxley has started doing recently.

I pulled the sensors out today as part of the works required for the CV & diff swap. The kirb side sensor was chockablock with metal filings :shock: Driverside was not nearly so bad.

I am hoping that the problem will disappear after the rebuild.

sorry new to this I have a 53 plate LC3 and this ABS problem only happens when braking down hill almost at a stand still

Stuart

That would mean you have a 120 so disregard all the 80 specific stuff above, im sure admins will move this to the write section soon ;)

Back