Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AC Compressor

Yeah sound like it's low Clive.

But look what arrived for me today

20170706_155621.jpg 20170706_155731.jpg

But low means I have a leak, yet "they" couldnt trace it.

In fact their conclusion was that the system was over-pressurizing, causing escape at a joint that under normal test pressure wasn't leaking.

They suggested a faulty pressure regulating valve may be causing the excess pressure, does that sound feasible?

Hi Clive.

Sorry im not the AC Guru. im on the learning curve with my LC's aircon.
How long does it work for (properly) if recharged?

There is a pressure switch in front of the nearside battery.

This will stop the pump if the system is under or over pressure.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Clive I don't think over pressure would cause a leak. They are all "o" ringed and the harder you blow the more they seal. It's best to have a uv dye in the system to find a leak.

There is a pressure switch by the lhs battery which may be faulty. I should clean the connections.

Does the pump engage but the cabin air remain warm ?

Sorry for my delay seeing these posts above, and for crashing the thread, I was really just thinking aloud...

For sure the clutch is engaging, you can see circulation in the "window" (which may be a bad thing if it's supposed to be full) but it shows the stuff racing by.

In the cab, it cools quickly after switch on, but after an hour's drive it's barely noticeable. The coolness fades off gradually, but the next day (or after a good rest) it's back again, cool.

It's been a year since a new drier was fitted and re-gassing and they tried to trace for leaks but came up with nothing.

I'll just take it to them again...

Thanks guys

If it was overfill or over pressurising you would likely be blowing off refrigerant. I'm not sure if these systems have a high pressure switch but they do have a low pressure switch which cycles the compressor when there is sufficient refrigerant in there. You mention you can see refrigerant rushing by in the sight glass. This indicates it is neither full nor empty as both conditions show clear in the sight glass. Your system could take some more refrigerant. As to why it's cutting off, I would say by your description that your engine temp is perhaps a little on the high side causing the AC to be shut down in order to not boil the engine. You've been having some really high temps there recently haven't you? I wouldn't say that shortness of gas is causing your problem.

It's important to park up when the system has faded and see if the pump is still cutting in and out. It 's such an easy job to clean/tweak the switch contacts. I would do that first then see if it still fades.

It's important to park up when the system has faded and see if the pump is still cutting in and out. It 's such an easy job to clean/tweak the switch contacts. I would do that first then see if it still fades.

Thanks Frank & Rich for your suggestions.

I have no indication of high engine temps, but like most of us, I'm going by the super accurate :hand: Mr T gauge which is permanently on the "safe" horizontal norm.

In its defence, may I add, if I'm on a steep climb at low speed in hot weather, the gauge can rise by a needle width, at which point the gel-fan kicks in bringing it back to horizontal, before tripping out again. All seems to be well on that front, certainly there's no loss of coolant or leaks or whatnot.

I'll go for another re-gas and see if they can confirm that the clutch isn't tripping out at norm/high engine temps (I'm not good at this sort of stuff even if it is simple Frank :shifty:).

Thanks

I started taking things apart when I was 5 Clive. My grandson has started at 14 months.

My first electric shock was at 18 months. I started taking things apart soon after. Only really got good at putting them together again in my teens but made all sorts of things out of the bits I had taken apart up to then. If I broke something and couldn't repair it I would get very upset I recall.

14 months eh? That's pretty good going especially if he's not using a hammer. :)

Last edited:
Well, I did build my first bike at 9 years old from bits of old bikes I found in the stream over the fields behind our house.

Progressed to motor bikes at 15/16 then cars at 17 onwards, doing everything except gearbox rebuilds, mostly welding in the final years.

But since the age of 35 and the dawn of ECUs and all the nonsense, I rarely do any mechanics now, and I've lost my confidence.

To bring this up to scratch
I have now got the reciever/drier.
Now I have had a look in the engine bay and traced pipes but I cannot find the drier?

Does anyone know where it is?

20170719_164848.jpg

On the 80 it's under the LHS headlight but on your truck I'm afraid I'm no help.

Thanks for the reply Starcruiser. i have a horrible feeling its tucked up under the footwell somewhere.

It's usually between the condenser and the inside bit. Trace the skinny pipe all the way back and if it's not there then maybe it is up under the dash. I can't imagine why though.

I doubt it will be in the cabin. Have you looked in front of the condensor to one side? Ive seen them there on mitsubishis

I did have a look but it wont hurt to look again, sometimes its right under your nose.
Id prefer it, if its under the engine bay, i dont really want to start stripping bits of the dash/footwell.

Back