Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Across from the dark side...

Stanstorey

I do a lot of of lurking and reading of forums for the various cars that I seem to acquire!
Your great forum has been incredibly helpful already, so a big thanks straight away.

Thought I ought to make an effort and introduce myself as I intend to keep this one (or at least another 80/100) for a fair time and will undoubtedly be annoying people with the usual noobie questions.

i am coming from a good few years tinkering with and buying and selling old tdi defenders, which I still do. But I have no alliance with any make as I find most have their benefits and as long as its interesting and not a jelly mould euro box I'm keen to know more!

so....I have just sold a disco 3, which was great to tow with (I use a tri-axle Brian james for moving the odd defender, RRC etc) incredibly comfortable and luxurious, but incredibly over complicated and expensive to fix even at mates rates:lol:

my issue has been there are few vehicles that I feel I can tow 3.5tonnes with safely and legally and not struggle up the hills to the point of second gear. Defenders are useless unless they have a nice big jap engine in them or an overstressed wound up td5 which in my mind then becomes unreliable.

so I've found a nice late (r plate) 24v manual 80 through a friend of a friend and collect in a week or so with a fresh mot and some tax

168k, he's had it for ten years and although its been used, he is rather good on maintenance (belts every 30k for example)
He has also put the older style injector pump on and removed egrs and immobiliser etc to simplify things (excuse lack of knowledge on exactly what has been done)

its black, with black leather (Connolly badge in the back?)
most of it seems to work inside, needs a good valet
looks rock solid underneath and he's injected waxoyl in door panels and chassis rails etc
swivels slightly damp but no land rover style leaks drips!

christ that's a lot of waffle, sorry!

the only pic I have will follow when not on stupid ipad.
More when it arrives and I've cleaned it.

Welcome to the forum.

Another black manual !!!! Pics would be good when you get sorted.

Enjoy.

I'd not seen a black one before this one, I presume they're not that common?
D3 was black, my old m5 is black and my manky work hack people carrier is black, I've never actually gone looking for a black car tho!

Sounds nice, there was a black one on eblag last week I think

Welcome to the landcruiser world :)

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

My one crap picture attached!

Quick question, is Milner still the main source of parts?
The LR world has a fair few suppliers to chose from these days!

Attachments

• LC80 01.jpg
    LC80 01.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 316
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure about "crap pic" its good enough to make me want your truck !

Toyota is the best source of Quality parts, although many of the milner parts are in fact genuine toyota and at much more competitive prices compared to toyota dealers :).
Whilst other parts are cheaper aftermarket and not as long lasting.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Nice.

Yours is the fourth diesel black one I've seen inc mine.

The black leather has thrown me a little. Never come across any with black leather before. May have been re coloured?

it has what looks like an official -i.e. not just a transfer- badge in the back from Connolly who are the leather suppliers to the high end car market, so maybe it's been there? carpets are all very dark grey and I cannot see any other interior addons - though I don't really know what I am looking for!

I imagine black leather and dark carpets would look nice.

Look forward to the pics.

Looks a good truck and even better... It's black!

Looking forward to your pics and silly questions, I've learned a lot from silly questions, on here!

Cheers!

Looks nice that one. Pretty rare in black.

Milner and Roughtrax are the main suppliers of non OEM parts though beware of the seals from Milner.

Looks a good truck and even better... It's black!

Looking forward to your pics and silly questions, I've learned a lot from silly questions, on here!

Cheers!

I'll try not to have too many silly questions! I'm fairly handy with forum search facilities having spent the last few years trying to fix land rovers.....

Many thanks for the answers on part suppliers i'll start researching soon. I know the downpipe looked a bit scabby (but original), so that'll be changed soon

A good polish and valet that truck will look mint. I do like the black leather in the black car, obviously the 1st owner was well heeled.
That Cruiser is quite a find.

Andy

I've spent 4hours cleaning inside so far and will sort front seats out next.
Boot and tailgate carpet was very oily!
It's had a quick buff over with some resin polish,but rained 2 minutes after I'd finished.

Just done its first towing job, range rover classic on trailer and I was pleased with how it coped,not quite disco 3 power level,but I prefer it to drive and feels more solid.

Nice truck.

You can tweak the pump and it makes quite a difference to the power for towing.

Back