Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?

Thanks for the feedback!

Maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere.

To bad that we didnt was able to meetup, I didnt read that thread till today.

---
I did sleep pretty well directly at the border in my Verhicle, so glad that I`m an Overlander. Many other travellers did had to go back to the last village (aprox. 100km) - to find hopefully a bed to sleep.

As i woke up, there was already a long line of vehicles, who want to cross the border too. To bad that I didnt set my sleep camp directly on the street... So I drove to the end of the waiting line who was strongly growing, during my breakfast

P1080285.JPG

After some hours I was able to cross the border and the sun slowly seems to win the fight against the weather and add beatiful colors to the truely fantastic szenery.
This let me forget that they border crew even got my wood, shrink-wrapped salami and a closed marmalade of argentina - stuff which they normally don`t take away.

P1080294.JPG

P1080334.JPG

Like you all did read already, I did run out of food some days ago, and have to restock now urgently. But the desert at 4000m wants to get discovered a bit.

P1080320.JPG

Soon I did recognice, that also my near 300hp vehicle need to drive in the 4low, because at 4000m the power feels pretty limited.
To bad that the border crew even did catch my firewood - otherwise I`m shure that I would have rest a day more around this place. So much to discover her, so many traces in the desert seems to lead to a hidden place.

P1080340.JPG

So I went back to the road, heading to "San Pedro de Atacama" a town who is one of the places who are well known as touristic places, which you find in places like tripadvisor.
What ever they may write about the small town, it is a dusty area, and anyone by feet or car is causing small or bigger dusty trace. Just the surrounding is worth to come here.

P1080408.JPG

P1080392.JPG

Just a small area is closed for cars, and is a bit nicer - but just for selling the usual tourist stuff.

P1080393.JPG

You can book some trips there, buy the usual touristical stuff - but not much more. The Gas station actually is closed, there is no good way to restock food.
There are some small shops, you can buy chips, bread and many things, but if you look for some steaks, firewood and so on - you dont find many options.

To bad - that this issue let me pass this area that quickly, I had to go to the next bigger city another 100km, to Calama. This is a wonderful spot for restocking all stuff we overlanders need:

I got my rear-tyrebag topped up with firewood, got 3kg of "bife the lomo (beef)", sausages ,got onions, corncob, bread, dulce de leche, honey, marmalade, jam, salami, beer - now I`m ready again for severall days in the wilderness.

Now I`m ready for the next adventure. I did head out of town - to find a wild-camp for the night, and did choose the geyser fields of „El Tatio“ as next target.

Because of heavy rain in the last days, the police was not shure if it is possible to reach this area. Offically the road is closed - so I`m in, or?

The day ends at a uninhabited oasis, which just crowded over the day. I had a wonderful meal and a big camp fire at night.

More as usual - in my Travel-Blog: http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

4x4tripping

Last edited:
Quite an adventure, thanks for update. Bad luck with food and wood confiscation. We stashed food in our Hilux when visiting Iceland and luckily didn't get searched on arrival by customs. So kept it all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quite an adventure, thanks for update. Bad luck with food and wood confiscation. We stashed food in our Hilux when visiting Iceland and luckily didn't get searched on arrival by customs. So kept it all

In Iceland it dont hurt so much, when they catch the food - you can buy it near... In the andes it is very bad, because you have to drive hundert of kilometers for buying wood and nice steaks. Just beer chips and cakes - you find in any small town - but on extended travelling you may want more....

I love the lamb steaks in Iceland :)

Island-Reisetipp-4x4-wildcamping-offroad-2.JPG

We wrote a small travel-note about travelling to iceland: http://www.4x4tripping.com/2015/06/reisetipp-island-mit-dem-4x4.html

But let us dont go to much off topic - i will add the next part of the trip soon :)

Surfy

Excellent will read that. We also enjoyed the lamb in Iceland from shops. I can see your point if it's 100km to nearest proper shops

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the next day I found a beautiful dirttrack. After 10 miles i did meet a Police car - which I did query about my Route-plan. "You can try" - thats sounds again like a challenge. So I did follow the track.
P1080443.JPG
P1080466.JPG
Looks I should start to navigate not only with the offline satellite Images on my IPad. I have too offline track & terrainmaps which Shows sometimes a bit more about the route...
P1080476.JPG
Also with near 300 hp I did miss some power after leaving 3500m height in the andes. These steep hills are easyer to climb with Speed, but I had to use 4lo - and sometimes i had to go back and to try another path - also with 2 difflocks & muddies.
Since hours i didnt see a house or Person - an absolutely beautiful area and track!!
P1080505.JPG
P1080491.JPG
Beautiful Colors who you can also see in Iceland.
P1080523.JPG
From the geysers I would have expected a little more, the Hotpod facilities seemed a little unkempt - and the water was for me wimps definitely too cold. So off to the mountains - the track will ultimately lead somewhere.
At a junction, I chose the way further into the mountains - but after another 20km, I discovered that the other track lead deep into a valley - what attracted me magically. So let's turn around and return.
During a short Navigation break some offroaders did meet up. The Offroad Club from Calama. We had a nice Chat, but they told me that my track will have a dead end, and it will be hard to climb up again under this conditions as a single car.
P1080585.JPG
To drive back the same route - Sound great to me - it was such a great ride!

More you will find at the blog as usual: Adventure-Overland

Surfy

I never did finish the trip description in english - time during corona to complete!
---------------------------

I had lost a lot of time, had to be in 4 days in La Paz where my GF will arrive. And I had to head back - many miles more in front of me.

Had a lot of fun while pushing over dirttracks - having fun has mostly their own cost....

P1080660.JPG

P1080652.JPG

P1080641.JPG

After 4 hours having a lot of fun, with pushing with speed over dirt - something broke: My engine hood get hood hangs crooked.

Later I recognize that that Part is broken: Toyota Parts 53420-60050 Hood Hinge Assembly

How easy will the replacement be in Bolivia? Hopefully I`m able to follow my plans with tight timeframe....

I got it welded at a small mechanic at the road side - and did drive again with a bit less speed in direction of bolivia.

Blogpost of the day in German with more pictures: PPP und die Panamericana

With doing more harder offroad stuff - and with speeding in dirt my repair bill starts to get more expensive:

These Parts wasnt available in Salta and my german mechanic has listed the repair parts till today - and my GF will try to bring them from Switzerland, if the parts will arrive quick enough.

53420-60050 Hood Hinge Assembly 43,24€

88710-6B580 Tube Assy, Air Conditioner 340,91€

88460-60400 CONDENSER ASSY 499,15€

That is was can happen - if you have fun during offroad driving.

Reactions: Raj
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good to see the updates ... thought you got lost down a ravine : (

Your trip details and situation echo with my plans I was making for last couple of years. I did dare to quit job after many years but only to buy a LC200:). I will again have to work few more years before taking up a cross country journey. in 2014 I thought life was too boring and then came up with a exiting plan to keep life going with hope. The mountain ranges of Russia/Asia border and deserts were roughly what I thought of travelling.
Now i think it ll take few more years to gain experience and knowledge to do such a trip. Until then I will experiment travelling around UK as its safest place, no matter where we are there is RAC or AA to rescue.

Best wishes

Back