Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice for potential LC5 acquisition

What Andy L said, really - keep looking, keep chatting to people on here.

This is a really helpful forum and some of the guys here have really helped me keep the 80 series sorted over the last 9 years or so that we've owned it. There is definitely a community spirit, and people with the knowledge to help with most things Cruiser related - whether that's vehicles, parts, fault fixing or whatever (and a fair amount of banter). Several of us also have other 4x4s and certainly there is some cross over with the Hilux Pickup Owners Club, which is another great forum.

Good luck! :)

Welcome to the forum, Andys (another Andy!).

As pointed out above some of the dealers in and around the HP postcodes have a somewhat chequered reputation for dubious provenance and inflated prices. No idea why but there seems to be a few of them at the end of the Metropolitan Line.

Cruisers are never cheap and prices are on the up but that does seem steep. Hang around and you'll soon come across something better.

Thanks a lot Jacob. As per advice from another member I did have a look on some Spanish websites. Prices and mileages even higher! What was just a kernel of an idea is now turning into a bit of obsession. I’m blaming the forum!

Looks pretty funky. Had a quick look online and they seem pretty pricey.

Reading lots more of the posts on here and while a 120 is probably the more suitable vehicle for what I need, I have to say the 80s do look cooler, especially when set up for overlanding. A 120 with a snorkel doesn’t look quite right! Does anybody think the 120 will ever be considered a modern classic like the 80?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Reading lots more of the posts on here and while a 120 is probably the more suitable vehicle for what I need,

I think all the LC's are good - if you can find a good (non rusty) 70, 80, 90, 100 or 120, its worth having.

Remember the 120's are old, the 100's are older, the 80's even older still - so you have to be prepared for that and be ready for what you're getting into. Toyotas are good, but they're not magic.

What do you need it for? The 120 suits me, its big enough, nice and comfortable on long motorway trips and I can convert it to a van when I need to and throw everything in the back. Its economical for what it is (30-32mpg on a run) and with decent tyres its good in sh*t weather.

When I was looking I considered some 100's and would have had either a 100 or 120 depending on what I could find.

I have to say the 80s do look cooler, especially when set up for overlanding.

80's look great

A 120 with a snorkel doesn’t look quite right!

It looks better than a nissan quashai with a snorkel

Does anybody think the 120 will ever be considered a modern classic like the 80?

Check here in 20 years and see :)

Main thing is, whatever model you pick, you have to be prepared to put a bit of effort into finding a decent one.

@fbnss beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I doubt 120s will ever be held in the same regard as 80s etc, but they can be made very capable off roaders. Like all LC you do need to find a good rust free one, and that is hard in the UK.

Most of the old school 80 owners on here generally berate them for the added ECUs and electronic, but of all things to go wrong with mine, none of them were related to the new fangled electrics.

With careful overland prep I'd drive mine anywhere

Last edited:
bit of obsession
Well you ll never realise the depth of it until you dive in. When I purchased my car, members here said its the begining :) I didnt understand until i got into it. Its addictive.
8 months on, my shopping list is increasing. Infact I signed into amazon for the first time now just for landcruiser purchases. Each time I get under the car, my to do list gets longer and all this without even touching overland modifications :)
Dont get me wrong. Car is perfect but just want to do this little bit, that little bit, make it like brand new etc etc type of OCD or madness.

Nice video! The original rationale was to have a car that could get a family of four and a dog to Sweden for the summer each year in relative comfort and have some adventures along the way. And maybe at some point in the future tow a small boat. And then I started to think about the old 70s RR I had in Kenya, which was just the coolest thing……And that’s when the heart starts taking over from the head and mission creep sets in. Loved it to bits, and the V8 made such a glorious sound. Leaked fluids everywhere, constantly needed fixing, but had some amazing adventures in it and I could generally fix it myself or a local mechanic could sort it out for not too much money. Basically gave it away when I left! So started thinking a classic LC would have the same emotional appeal (no way I could afford a vintage RR now) and be a great thing for a father-and-son project. Essentially, my head is all over the place and I want a car that probably doesn’t exist! But I’m enjoying all the chat on this forum, so thanks very much for indulging me.

@fbnss
Most of the old school 80 owners on here generally berate them for the added ECUs and electronic, but of all things to go wrong with mine, none of them were related to the new fangled electrics.
This. Mine has 220000 miles of every-day off-roading and towing. The "only" things that have gone wrong I'd say are just mechanical wear. Lots of suspension bushes, wheel bearings (I think 4 so far), injectors. Rust will kill it though. Need a clean one and then regular oily stuff spraying underneath (and in the chassis rails) every year.

My LC is 200. I was heavily influenced by Australian videos so got into 200. If I was on this forum before buying it, may be I would be tempted to buy other model.

My awareness about LC was very minimal so didnt even knew about 40,70,80 or other series. I just saw this red LC long ago and it was love at first sight. Then hanged around Discovery 4, RR and finally locked my self on to this one. Took few years to gather courage, justify price to finally buy it.

Last edited:
I keep looking at autotrader for LC. Found this 100 series with very low mileage.
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
1644348003138.jpeg

Back