Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

advice needed

lallipop

Country Flag
uk
hello everyone, I've just joined up because i want to buy a toyota land cruiser that i can have modified to go overland adventuring with my family. Can anyone please give me some advice on best models to look for and also what age car etc as ive not got much of a clue also what price should i be looking to pay

Hi Lallipop,

The usual vehicle of choice is an 80 series diesel. There are occasionally some that come up for sale on here from members who’ve really looked after them and set them up for what you’re wanting to do.

Have a look in the classified section, there have been a couple that have gone on in the last few months. @Gary Stockton was selling his. If it’s not gone it might be up your street.

There are other models such as the 70 series band the 105 which is an 80 underneath but has the body of a 100. Rare in the UK.
There’s loads of info on the 80 series on here. Have a look around.

Hi Lallipop,

The usual vehicle of choice is an 80 series diesel. There are occasionally some that come up for sale on here from members who’ve really looked after them and set them up for what you’re wanting to do.

Have a look in the classified section, there have been a couple that have gone on in the last few months. @Gary Stockton was selling his. If it’s not gone it might be up your street.

There are other models such as the 70 series band the 105 which is an 80 underneath but has the body of a 100. Rare in the UK.
There’s loads of info on the 80 series on here. Have a look around.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply what would be best manual or auto

Totally Agree with Starcruiser.... But it depends on how much money you have, and How are your Skills at Mechanics /welding etc.. Best bet would be to buy one all ready to go/ fully kitted out.. There are a few for sale.. Or buy one that needs work and kit it out to your requirements... But the ones needing work will always escalate into that big can of worms Scenario..... We have all been there.... If i had the Cash and no skills Id buy one all ready to go.. Getting someone to do the work for you is expensive... Thinking about it, 'I have no Cash or skills':thumbup:

Manual or auto is one of those eternal discussions. The Auto boxes are known to be bomb proof as long as they’re looked after and give greater torque off the line. Manual boxes will give you a lower first gear. Manuals will return slightly more to the gallon but on a run there is very little difference. Mind you, you don’t buy 2.5 tonnes of truck and expect frugality in fuel consumption.
Personally, I love my auto box. I like the fact that the drive comes on gradually without knowing a clutch is being slipped to give that variable speed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'll keep it simple.

80 series in whatever flavour you prefer.

Any landcruiser will make a good overlander, pros and cons for all of them.

Basically you've got the top end Heavy Duty 70 series which is pretty much the worlds overlander of choice. Hard to find in the UK and expensive.

Then theres the 80, 100's series luxury barges, just watch out for overpricing, poor condition ones and rust.

Finally theres the light duty Prado range, confusingly with some 70 series models. Just as capable as the 80 or 100's series of long distance overland travel. 90 series are very good and very cheap but again rust is a big issue. The later 120's are gaining popularity in Europe as an overlander but again rust is an issue.

Always best to get advice from people who’s have used their vehicle for long duration Overland travel rather than just a couple of weeks holiday. They’ll have a very different and often more practical perspective on what you do and don’t need.

For me a auto is not an option for an overlander. IMO there’s a reason Toyota sold more manuals in territories where durability is more relevant than comfort. Add to that the increasing number of posts with expensive auto box problems compared to very few manual box problems

I spent a entire month off road in the Russian Arctic Circle last year with 3 other 80 owners. I was the only manual and they were all autos. I had the same number of issues that they did.

None.

And we worked them harder than anything I've done even in all my years of off roading. I have had manual and auto Colorados and the same with 80's so I can speak from experience. Pick the best Landcruiser you can find.

If it's a manual, fine. If it's an auto fine. But I would not let the choice of transmission be your primary search criteria. Turning down a really good vehicle based on it being an auto would be a rookie mistake.

80's 100's and 90 are all good choices, but when it comes to the 120 series, the swing out back door does limit rear access a bit. The lift up back door might offer a little more space utilisation. But the rear tailgate slopes quite a bit unlike the other three and that makes it shorter inside for fridges etc.

better than Morocco then, gearbox trouble in 2 or 3 of the 80's on that trip, wasn't it 1 manual and 1 auto with problems? not sure on the third

Can't recall, but then the world is bigger than just Morocco isn't it.

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 19.13.30.jpg

I’m sure there’s a post or 2 on here about the Morocco gearbox issues somewhere.

Still wouldn’t have an auto

To be fair, the 90 series does have a bit of a weakness for the coolant getting into the autobox. Something you would not want on a trip for sure. Less so on the 80. If I was going to use an auto (Collie) and had one that was working perfectly when I got it, I would service the whole thing of course but then separate out the transmission and engine cooling.

Whats "adventure with the family" ?

Any Landcruiser will take you around the world twice unmodified stock standard unmolested with just typical service interval maintenance .

We are enthusiasts here , its a more serious matter for some than for others but i personally know i dont need steel bumpers or big tyres , i have them because i want them thats all .

Your planned route dictates the necessities .

Last edited:
Looks like this may have sold but might be worth a call to Gary. It’s the sort of truck to look out for.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/333266591301

That’s the Chesham motor company up and running again. But looks like they have dropped their prices.

They used to hold / sell a large number of 80 series when I first started looking. Not saying that they were all that top shelf. Yet still worth a look. Just make sure they did not polish the car too much.

I believe the reason why manuals in developing countries were the main option was for a few reasons. But I think a major reason was they were cheaper.

There is also less technical aspects to repair and if you lose a gear you can jump a cog.

Saying that I think both boxes are good options as long as they are not abused and are well maintained.

Gary sold his. But that's not to say that it's not still for sale elsewhere ...

in fairness there does seem to be a lot more problems with auto boxes than manual on the forum.
auto boxes are far more complicated by there very nature. in general a manual box will give you plenty of warning of a potential problem. be that a whine, crunch or slip..

Id never owned or even driven an Auto, Till i got my Colorado..I always loved a Manual.. But now i love the Auto But would be just as Happy with a Manual.. Until im in Traffic, Thy both have their Pros And Cons... But like its been said, Dont let the Choice of Box Sway your decision when Buying!.....PS Are you still out there Lollipop?

Back