Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aerial for 80

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
I'm on the look out for an aerial for an 80 series. Mine has been bent and bangs when extending and retracting. I have to get someone to push the buttons on the dash while I'm giving it a helping hand.

Suggestions anyone before I go go and ask Mr T??

Try
Malcolm @ car-masts-uk
Telephone: 01245 440969
Mobile: 07895 677813

Ecoman said:
Suggestions anyone before I go go and ask Mr T??
Cut it off and jam the whip from a CB antenna down the hole :mrgreen:

Cheers Andy I will give him a shout later.

Jon I was gonna do that but to be honest I prefer the wire coathanger approach :lol:

I need a new aerial too. I'd rather replace it with a rubber stubby type that would be unbreakable. Could then remove the old aerial motor and use the buttons on the dash for something else....

I was thinking of that too but to be honest I like the original set up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lorin said:
I need a new aerial too. I'd rather replace it with a rubber stubby type that would be unbreakable. Could then remove the old aerial motor and use the buttons on the dash for something else....

I've bust so many aerials over the years that I now have a rubber duck type.
It's the best reception of any of the normal ones I have used.

Don't get to hung up on the Toyota only aerials. I have used BMW and Saab out of the scrap yard. The BMW one was well posh but broke just as easy on a branch when I forgot to put it down. :roll:

Just been doing mine, getting the old one out not too bad but the rubber one i bought needs the nut to be done up underneath which is quite difficult so ordered another one that has the securing nut on top of the wing, just seen one in halfrauds that says its for for a Cavalier that has the right curved insert for the hole in the wing.
Is it just mine or is the hole quite poorly cut out? All painted and original so always been like that but not the neatest.

EDIT: That spliter looks good as my CB aerial in on all the time

Ooh now that is a good idea. I was going to fit my CB in any day soon. Never thought of using the same twig. :thumbup:

Might still get a mast in the mean time though.

Hi,

Ian Rubie supplied me with a new Toyota aerial mast which was very resaonably priced and much easier to fit than a complete new unit. You just need to undo the nut at base of the mast then keep pressing the up button until it spits the whole mast assembly out. You then feed the new one in , get an assistant to press the down button and it will suck it in, do the nut back up and job done.

You'll still need to remember to retract it when necessary though ;-)

All the best,
Toby

When I got my 80 I pushed the radio arial down manualy.
My vehicle has the push buttonless arial configuration :shh:

Anyway its still down there!
Compared to a modern vehicle an 80 has a whole range of wonderfull sounds to enjoy when cruising.
Especially the snoring of the other half in the passenger seat :lol:

The other half her little mercedes is something else though. I've driven electric forklifts that are noisier!

Guys

Check this out on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _756wt_913

I bought one today, it's so easy to fit. You replace your ariel mast along with the tooth belt which slides into the motor. If your original nylon toothed belt doesn't come out whole, just take your inner wheel arch cover off, remove the 10mm bolt from the ariel motor mounting, remove the electric plug and the ferule from the top of the ariel on your wing. Draw the motor out, remove the posi screws to the motor casing, take out the old nylon belt. Put the motor casing back together, feed in the new ariel, press your ariel button down (this will completely draw the ariel mast in) and refit.

Half hour at most!

This is what you want :D

sae70 said:
I also finished installing the internal boosted radio aerial & it works a treat so very pleased with that :thumbup: :D

P8260207.jpg

As featured on page three of my Garage :) Clicky is in my signature :thumbup:

sae70 - where did you get that from if you don't mind me asking...?

Now before I go and replace my aerial is there an easy test to check if its definitely fubar'd? i.e. Resistance check etc..
(its in one peice but radio just stopped working - so either a faulty radio or aerial...)

When I did the aerial on my 80 cruiser, it had a mast as one part and a solid nylon cord with no teeth, the mast unscrews from the nylon cord, but during fitting the new metal mast I broke the nylon cord, so I had to buy that as well, got all the bits from the people that I posted detail of earlier.

Justin_Elliott said:
sae70 - where did you get that from if you don't mind me asking...?
I bought it from my local motor factors :) It was about £12.50 from what I can remember :) The first one that I bought was fubard :twisted: A little annoying but Im pleased that I got another as it works really well :thumbup: I've just disconected the OEM aerial & pushed it down never to be seen again :D

I fitted it as most of the lanes in my neck of the woods look like this.

P9010222.jpg

P9010218.jpg

But I like to listen to a bit of Classic FM while laneing :thumbup: Beats the hell out of listening to my m8 talking cojones on the PMR so this is ideal :D :thumbup:

Back