Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AHC failed

"Next time I would do the same but I was, and am, still expecting Toyota to cover this under warranty. Pretty poor show if they don't. The LC200 is their very expensive flagship "legendary" off road vehicle having a major corrosion failure in a key suspension component at only 7 years old and 46K miles. I will be taking it up will Toyota UK and Global if necessary"

Good luck...
Sad fact is Toyota UK have less than zero interest in supporting a vehicle they don't even want to import now.... and very little interest in the 4x4 market in all honesty .
Toyota UK don't think you need to tow 3.5 tons in comfort so will try and sell you a Hilux because that's the only 4x4 they import that can tow 3.5 tons .
Toyota seem to have given up on rust proofing recently...... even JLR are better at rust proofing now than Mr T .
Even if Toyota UK did have a 4x4 in their range that tickled my fancy I would think very carefully now before buying it.....a Landcruiser is not for life anymore it seems ...especially in the UK

"Next time I would do the same but I was, and am, still expecting Toyota to cover this under warranty. Pretty poor show if they don't. The LC200 is their very expensive flagship "legendary" off road vehicle having a major corrosion failure in a key suspension component at only 7 years old and 46K miles. I will be taking it up will Toyota UK and Global if necessary"

Good luck...
Sad fact is Toyota UK have less than zero interest in supporting a vehicle they don't even want to import now.... and very little interest in the 4x4 market in all honesty .
Toyota UK don't think you need to tow 3.5 tons in comfort so will try and sell you a Hilux because that's the only 4x4 they import that can tow 3.5 tons .
Toyota seem to have given up on rust proofing recently...... even JLR are better at rust proofing now than Mr T .
Even if Toyota UK did have a 4x4 in their range that tickled my fancy I would think very carefully now before buying it.....a Landcruiser is not for life anymore it seems ...especially in the UK
i completely agree.

ive said it before. the 80 was the last for me.

if i had to choose a modern 4x4 that i could only realistically do basic service maintenance on, it wouldnt be a toyota.

Same with me, I can Echo Grimbo and Mikes comments, So could a few on here im Guessing..... There is nothing out there, Toyota or otherwise... :confusion-shrug:

MKS, take a strong case with Toyota. If you need, I ll give my cars details on the same issue. I don’t need anything from Toyota, my car was fixed free of cost from the dealer but you may use such failures to strengthen your argument

Thanks Raj,
I might take you up on that if Toyota don't play ball.
Apart from the AHC issue, mine looks pretty solid underneath (structurally). There is some surface rust which I will address in the spring. Of course that shouldn't be the case on a relatively young low milage car, but I'm prepared to live with that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i completely agree.

ive said it before. the 80 was the last for me.

if i had to choose a modern 4x4 that i could only realistically do basic service maintenance on, it wouldnt be a toyota.
Before I bought the 200 series, I did look at importing a new land cruiser 76 from Toyota Gibraltar but I think you have to be a charity and I think there were type approval issues.

I notice you are breaking a 100 series, don't suppose you have the wheel centres for sale?

Before I bought the 200 series, I did look at importing a new land cruiser 76 from Toyota Gibraltar but I think you have to be a charity and I think there were type approval issues.

I notice you are breaking a 100 series, don't suppose you have the wheel centres for sale?
i will have a look if the set is complete and pm you. cant remember tbh..

Reactions: MKS
I know 2 people who have imported new V8 79 series in the last 2-3 years..... awsome vehicles but not exactly luxury even by 25 year old 80 series standards ..

If 10 years younger i would consider a new Toyota 150 ( a mate is), but safe in the knowledge that it must be delivered in summer so it never sees any salt and that Toyota are happy to still warrant the vehicle despite it going straight for professional further chassis painting and then full underbody and cavity sealing with something like Krown.
The vehicle would also be a fairly basic version to keep it under the threshold for crippling VED costs, if this wasn't feasable then i wouldn't be averse to a Hilux again.

As far as i know they are the only maker to have addressed sensibly the likely DPF problems that could be encountered by local journeys on the 2.8 engine.
A switch allowing the owner to trigger static regens if needed, whether that also allows the triggering of a moving regen when you, the driver, are embarking on a decent length journey i know not but at least some system of exhaust maintenance has been provided, its as close as possible to the systems found on full size trucks these days and i personally praise Toyota for having enough faith in their buyers and not appearing to assume they are dimwits incapable of judging something like this for themselves, which other makers seem to think of the competence of their buyers.

I don't think anyone else makes anything normally for sale here that is relatively simple, the Ineos Grenadier if it's ever finally up for sale might be a contender, only time will tell, they'd better hurry up because Bunter and his Junta are signed up to the electric car scam, (as well as every other scam going) and time is running out.

You won't believe how ridiculously complicated, with too many warning faults cropping up is now the norm even in heavy trucks, many now saddled with electric parking brakes, cameras instead of mirrors/facepalm) and more switches and menus than enough, it won't come as a surprise that the more electronic tat fitted the more could, and does, go wrong.

A mate of mine once believed that should a maker experiment with making fairly basic vehicles again would prosper with those of us who don't want toys but do want reliable/durable, those kit built Maestros didn't sell too well, but modern Dacias are very popular so there is a marekt that doesn't value overpriced German brands stuffed with electrics.

I know 2 people who have imported new V8 79 series in the last 2-3 years..... awsome vehicles but not exactly luxury even by 25 year old 80 series standards ..
Be interested to know how they did that .
Are they on here do you know?

One definitely not... the other I don't know TBH but most likely not .
I can ask how it was done....

Well Toyota refused to pay any part of the repair. Really not impressed.
I will be writing to Toyota UK and Japan. Very poor customer care, like non existent.

No great surprise .....Toyota UK are pretty hopeless and as stated have no interest in the 4x4 market..... or supporting their products....they know they are not losing a customer because they know they don't sell a replacement for your 200 so like everyone else who wants a decent large 4x4 you will have to buy another brand......

Toyota have become no better.... if not worse than many other manufacturers especially in the UK .....I'm lucky to have a dealer an hour away who's parts team are brilliant ...Yeomans Toyota in Eastbourne

On American forum I came across another UK 200 with similar issue AHC failing at same spot, that coupling above rear axle failing due to corrosion. From discussion I found out Border Toyota on A86 was good at dealing with 200s as there are many in that area.
I am thinking of contacting them in future for some restoration. (New fuel, break, AHC lines all around). It’s too far for me so it’s only worth if I go with some big work.

OK finally some good news. I did write to Agustin Martin, CEO of Toyota UK and got a prompt message back from his team saying they would look into my complaint. After some time, having not heard anything, I sent them an update which may have helped. Back in 2019 I purchased and paid for a 2 year extension to the original warranty, this extension expired in July 2021. I had the truck serviced just before this expired and asked Beadles to check if anything needed fixing under warranty. I also asked them to look at the AHC system as I thought it was taking too long to raise. They didn't find any issues at the time but I suggested there was a leak but that it wasn't noticed. Not sure if they accepted that or they have just decided to cover the cost, Anyway, last week I got a message back from Toyota UK saying they would cover the full cost of the repair and they have indeed given me a full refund. It has taken a while but got there in the end:):)

congratulations. Good news It’s sorted out finally. Now I realise I too might have qualified for Toyota warranty as I got full service and health check from them a month before AHC failed. They have 1 year warranty after each service. they don’t want to take it so turned me off by saying the car is not roadworthy even after repairing. After getting AHC fixed, I sent car to different garages for inspection and all of them said car is in good condition

Back