Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

air in clutch line??

fj70nz

hi was wondering if anyone can help with my issue.

i have recently bought a 88 fj70 and have had some issues with air in the clutch line. the master slave cylinder is in good nick and looks quite new. i have to bleed the line in order to allow me to get the gear stick through the gates. i have done this twice in two days now. any ideas and help would be appreciated. cheers

Hi fj70nz.

A process of elimination I would go about it, some of which you may have done already. I'm not a machanic, but I'm a firm believer in using a big enough, a big enough hammer if it don't move.....so to speak. But here's my 2 pence worth....

I had an issue many years ago with spongy brakes and having to bleed them cause of air in the line. My first port of call was to check for kinks in the line that may have ruptured on the corners of the kink and letting air in, same would go for any tiny pin holes or splits in the piping that may have aged or corroded. Also check where the piping enters and exits certain parts, sometimes threads are x threaded or are not seated 100% correctly.
But saying just that, one would notice fluid leaking out and a drop in fluid level. You would notice maybe eg: clutch slip, leaking or smell/smoke from bellhousing, if it were down the business end of things.
With my issue, I found it out to be a rubber plunger that had perished and got damaged from a small score on the inside of the master slave cylinder. I simpy honed the inside of the barrel and replaced the rubber plunger with a new and put back together and hoped for a good result. Bingo! it worked a treat.

Interestingly you mentioned the master slave cylinder looked in good nick and fairly new. Me just wonders if this may have been an existing problem? If so the master slave cylinder should be good and you need to investigate further down the line towards the clutch end of things

This may not work for your situation, but hey that's my 2 pence worth and hope it may have helped.
I'm interested in the outcome, keep us posted on the progress.
Good luck

Firstly, just a technical point. The master cylinder sits on the bulkhead and is the one you operate by pushing on the clutch pedal. The slave cylinder is bolted to the bell housing (usually) and is operated by oil pressure from the master cylinder. The piston in the slave cylinder pushes on a rod that operates the clutch via a linkage.

If, after you bled the system and it worked OK, it started to go spongy after a few days, then you have a damaged cylinder/seal in either the master cylinder/slave cylinder. When you push the pedal down, the piston pushes the oil towards the slave cylinder. When you release the pedal and the piston is pushed back, air is drawn into the cylinder past the damaged seal/cylinder. Sometimes the seal will allow oil to escape. Do you have oil on the operating rod or clutch pedal? If the slave cylinder is faulty, oil will drip out from the end.

Roger

Had this on my KZJ some years ago - it was the master cylinder - tried a rebuild, no better; new master cylinder did the trick. When I looked carefully at the bore of the old cylinder it had very faint scores along it which were allowing the fluid to leak past the seal.

Either the master or slave cyl could be at fault.
Peel the rubber boot on the slave back a little .If there is any sign of moisture ,you have found the problem.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back