Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air operated freespool

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Just to prove that you can actually have altogether too many toys, here's the latest. It the Goodwinch air operated free spool. It's powered by a toggle switch at the moment but it can be linked to a 4 way remote in the future. Oh yes. Then I can winch and spool all from a distance. I made a bracket to pick up off the winch casing. Seems pointless putting it elsewhere as I have air to the bumpers anyway. I wanted to leave access to the winch restricted for security really. It would only deter a casual thief I know. Not everyone walk around with a full set of star drives. The toggle can be disabled too so that no -one can spool the rope off either. Not heard of this, but with the price of rope it won't be long before they start disappearing.
It functions very well. It workd by hand too, but it was such a strain you know....

Solenoid2.jpg

Gosh, getting all excited for when you get an 80 - we are all going to be inspired with your creativeness.

Battered and Blue said:
~~~~~ The toggle can be disabled too so that no -one can spool the rope off either. Not heard of this, but with the price of rope it won't be long before they start disappearing.~~~~~

Already happened mate about six months ago.
Mr LR broke down on the M23 and when he got back to his vehicle after going to the emergency phone his brand new Plasma rope had gone.
We think someone saw him at the phone and took the opportunity as his car was out of his line of sight.

Nice new toy Chris. How easily is it swapped for the original lever if there's a problem? I'm assuming pretty easy? When I have an air tank I might fit one of those as well :D

Jon, you undo the hex bolt, drop the (ready built) unit and replace with longer set hex bolt. You used to have to built the actuator up from parts, but they now come assembled. Air and electrics etc are obvious. You can still lift the unit by hand if you need to. But frankly not being able to freespool for any reason isn't the end of the world. You can always keep the old lever in your kit box. It's neat. Also make a very satisfying Psst when you operate it.

Chris

I got one of those as part of the winch package even though I don't have air on board - yet... Figured whilst I had the dosh, I might as well ;-)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back