Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Airbag warning light on

Number 6

My 1995 petrol vx has been SORNd for a year or so and now I want to get it back on the road.

Charged the battery this evening and before starting the engine I checked the dash lights. All behaved as expected and the airbag light went out after a few seconds.

I started the engine and now the airbag light stays on!

Too dark to check anything now this evening.

Any suggestions as to where to start checking?

Your battery isn't charged yet , plug it back in and leave it overnight then try again .

Your battery isn't charged yet , plug it back in and leave it overnight then try again .

Just tried again. Light still on :-(

Weird that it was fine until I actually started the engine.

I'll have another look tomorrow.

Battery may be knackered but most likely starting just drains the battery enough to cause faults . Leave it charging overnight then fire it up in the morning and leave the engine running so the alternator charges it . You have cleaned all the connections ?

Battery is fine, everything is fine apart from the airbag light.

I've checked all the wiring and connectors I can find.

Two questions -

1. Where are the sensors?

2. How do I remove the "clock spring" assembly? I can get to it but can't see how to remove it without removing the steering wheel - and I can't see how to do that, there are no obvious screw's nor any obvious way to get the front cover off the steering wheel.

Any ideas?

Anything else I can do or check? I'm desperate to get this back on the road quickly.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't see it being anything to do with the batteries IMO. When I had a battery drain fault which flattened them down to less than 7 volts I never had any SRS/airbag problems even after charging. The airbag sensor assembly is mounted below the center of the dashboard according to the 1997 owner's manual. Yours may be the same.

Last edited:
I replaced ecu under the gear leaver cover . bingo light goes out when it should .second for £40 . mine just oneday decided not to go out .
10 MIN JOB

Back