Ecky Thump

Garage
Got my new toy for less than half price, very happy little bear now :D

DSC_6257.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_6257.jpg
    DSC_6257.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 67
Nice, I was watching the auction thinking I could do with just one of them for an onboard air project but was not sure what i would do with the other one as i already have the 440p compressor of there's.

Great bits of kit at what was a good price.

Well done Les, is that a double unit or is it just a picture of two?

Cossack said:
Well done Les, is that a double unit or is it just a picture of two?
It does apear to say 'Dual' on the box :)

Les, you have to fit a tank with that set up. Can't waste all that air. Without a tank and a pressure cut off switch you have to have an open air chuck which is a bit of a pain. Fit a closed chuck and the pumps continue to run and pressurise the line which is bad news. You can fit the smallest of tanks to get the pressure switch to operate, but with the larger tank you get all that stored air which means a huge release of air into your tire to start with and then by the time you walk round to the next tyre, it's ready again. You could run an air tool off that too, but again you need a tank. I would like another 400c in my set up. One isn't enough if you are impatient.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is a twin setup with all the cables and pipes etc but has been used. Although it can't have seen much use as it has never been mounted. I suspect it has just been bench tested so is as good as new.
I'm looking for a two and a half gallon tank from a Ford Cargo now as it is the right size to fit under the back end and a decent volume. Just need to sus out where to mount the compressors as I tend to fill everything with mud when I'm playing :lol: Don't really want them internal though due to noise and cooling:?:

Chris, where do I get the fittings and toys from :?: you know, tyre inflator etc :?:

And finally a trip to the train scrap yard for a pair of monster horns :lol: Only need 120psi for them :thumbup:

Les, only 120 psi for the horns but what about cfm??

I would suggest that Matt Savage is your best contact for all the bits such as tank fittings and accessories. Very good chap indeed. If the compressors came with any black plastic 6mm pipe I would suggest that you throw it away and get some more from e-bay. The VIAIR stuff is rubbish for some reason. Mine ruptured in all sorts of places and never seems to work with push fit connectors. The VIAIR tanks are not expensive from Matt and come with all the right bits. Don't worry too much about cooling, you can fit a remote air intake actually so that they pull in cooler air if you have to bury them somewhere in the boot.

Remember that you will need some pcl couplings somewhere to get the air back out again!!

Chris

Cheers Chris

Been trying to get my head around this cfm business but still don't get it.

I had a mate with train horns on his Scania but I imagine a truck compressor is a tad more powerful than these.

I'll have a gander at Matt's site, cheers buddy :thumbup:

My lorry runns 12bar!!

As for air pipe, try a local truck parts place, they wil have all the pipe and fittings, you will just need the right fitting for the end to fit an air line.

Paul

Les, just think of it as current and volts but air instead of electricity. That's all. psi is the pressure of the air (or push like volts) and cfm is the flow or volume (like amps). The bore of the pipe, like cable is the resistance It's the difference between blowing down a toilet roll tube and a drinking straw.

You can have massively high pressure but with virtually no volume (thumb over the end of the garden hose stuff) or loads of flow, but no pressure (thumb OFF the garden hose)

Or if like you, you buy something nice you can get high pressure, high flow.

These little compressors blow on the upstroke, a valve closes, they draw new air in and blow again. So you get a pulse of air. If you fit a tank, this gives you a collector which damps out that pulse as you are not drawing from the pump, but the cylinder. If you have TWO BLOODY POSH PUMPS then effectively you damp the pulse even more. If you could get one to blow while the other is pulling in air then you'd get no pulse at all. But that's not going to happen.

Paul is right about hose pressure, but the point is that little pumps will NOT stand that back pressure. You will bust them if you run them with a closed chuck.

Chris

I know the new Tmax HD compressors do about 7.3cfm. I have a York compressor to fit one day, it does 9.6 cfm amd about 150psi.

I have a tank, £20 as new, about 25l in size. I have loads of 8mm pipe (same as I used for axle breathers) Good for 200psi!!

Just need to remove the aircon compressor to fit it as it will be engine driven :)

Paul

Now you're talkin' Paul. Those are proper figures. Pressure and volume. Thumbs up for that one.

Chris

Back