Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I don't suppose anyone else was daft enough to order the wrong CV ?

Shayne

Guru
Got a new if greasy pre 94 with abs ring to swap for a 94 on with abs .

On the bright side i can do a hub and swivel rebuild with my eyes closed now :roll:

Great dummies guide here though right up to wheel bearing torque .

I cant help you there shayne but yes that guide is very handy, used it when Rosy and I did mine in november. my drivers side dissintegrated just as we left strata, thankfully @Gav missin was there to save me hours and hours of remembering how to do it :)

Self inflicted for me Nick I knew it needed attention but the best part of a year working away from home and my hub socket doing 10 miles here and 10 miles there 2 or 3 times a day thinking i might be home next week so i'll sort it then .

Must have been doing at least 70 on way home when it snapped with 174 miles to go :disappointed:

I found the rebuild itself incredibly easy just a messy job but drove myself nuts trying to work out what i did wrong or what damage was preventing me from fitting the final snap ring so it was on tthen off bearing races out etc etc around in circles until it dawned on me to phone Roughtrax and check what i ordered .

Gonna strip the other side to change the oil/grease seal and i expect it won't take more than an hour with a rattle gun to undo .

Saddest part is i'm left with a brand new part thats no good to me which will likely cost as much to post if i list it on ebay .

does anybody know if you can just stick a pre 94 drive flange on it so the snap ring fits? the first time i did mine i knowingly ordered the longer post 94 cvs and had to order the post 94 drive flanges to go with them. This time round i went cheaper and got the longfields which cater for both as have the circlip groove for whichever one you need.

That is possible Nick. Done exactly that but other way round on my 91. Have later cv with thicker flange to compensate. Speaking of thick flanges.....I'll stop right there I think

Worthwhile in theory when you can call it an update but not so appealing in reverse .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You can just buy the matching end drive plate shayne and keep.the cv you ordered.

That reminds me - I should probably rebuild my hubs - can someone remind me this time next year...........

As said . You could get some smaller caps for the shafts.
The reason for toyota changing to the larger flanges was due to the spines stripping on the smaller shafts. Given your monster tyres you run you may be better going with the original ones

1712263642660.jpeg

1712263688891.jpeg

8mm might just be enough to get a circlip on but leaves little or no wiggle room in the joint which explains worn splines and lost circlips and why Toyota rethunk it .

Weirdly he newer CV and axle flange is 8mm longer than the old set up ?

I can only guess Toyota decided the extra length would improve tolerance ?

The new design gives a larger surface area for contact between the splines.

Thanks all Stu decided me so a longer outer cv is on its way to me :thumbup:

Back