Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

All wheel drive question ?

ALL permanent 4wd vehicles will have a CD of some sort. Part time 4wd vehicles, as in series LR's and the Suzuki SJ's etc do not. When 4wd is engaged on these vehicles it hooks up a simple bevel gear/chain drive to the front driveshaft. Hence the transmission windup and tyre scrub when using 4wd on hard surfaces.

Hypothetically if you really wanted to stop wheel spinning issue, the easiest and maybe cheapest option would be to retrofit a traction control system in place, I believe it utilises the abs sensor which are all in place and if it detects a wheel is spinning more than the others (big difference in speed) it'll apply the brakes to that one wheel allowing the power to go to the other wheels instead. I'm sure that's how the newer LC's have that system for off roading

some of the terminology can get quite confusing sometimes.

permanant 4wd only means that power is available to all 4 wheels all the time however in normal driving mode it is still only 1 wheel drive. Engage the CDL and you have 2wd (1 front and 1 rear) engage the RDL and you get 3wd (2 rear and 1 front) and if you have it engage the FDL and you get the full 4wd (2 front and 2 rear)

Found on another forum , users were discussing which oil for what -

"Let's clear up the confusion;

The Prado is an all wheel drive (AWD) hence it has a center differential. The center differential is intergrated into the transfer case (making it an AWD transfer case)

1 case, 1 oil, 1 drain plug and 1 fill plug.

It takes 1.4 lts of Hypoid gear oil, API GL-5 SAE 75w-90.

So, from front to back you have:

Front diff
Engine
Gearbox
Transfer case
Rear diff"

To clarify the above list further, it would be more logical to start the list with the engine thus:

1. Engine;
2. Gearbox;
3. Transfer box & Center open diff;
3a. Rear open diff (60%);
3b. Front open diff (40%).

The center, front and rear diffs then all have the added option of being progressively locked (in that order) to avoid wheels spinning in soft no-grip conditions.

IMO it's misleading to talk about power, the engine produces power, nothing else does. It's motion that's being distributed to the four wheels, as described above.

Of course, setting off quickly will unweight the front wheels more than the back, and then they're likely to spin until the weight distribution evens out. But anyone who's driven a Ferrari will know they are difficult to drive because they have so much power. Without caution, they would be out of control very easily.

I would think the fun would be in learning how to pull away quickly without spinning the wheels, using judgement and driving skills.

Otherwise we should respect our trucks for what they are and drive them within their limits, as the alternative is likely to be premature failures.

Last edited:
Just a thought Shayne. But maybe an extra 70 or so kgs over the front end might help. How about installing a winch. It should help keep the front end pushed doen even under heavy accleration. Just watch out when cornering as it does affect the handling.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Well timed suggestion Chris funnily enough someones selling a winch tray as we speak :lol: seriously though i did give the tray a lot of thought when it was mentioned once before but the truth is i can't really justify having a winch unless i can get off-road more often . No doubt i will kick myself sometime in the future for not buying it but such is life .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well timed suggestion Chris funnily enough someones selling a winch tray as we speak :lol: seriously though i did give the tray a lot of thought when it was mentioned once before but the truth is i can't really justify having a winch unless i can get off-road more often . No doubt i will kick myself sometime in the future for not buying it but such is life .

Winches are not cheap Shayne and the tray is only the beginning! But, I can say, I've used my winch no more than a dozen times since I fitted it, 7 years ago! It's a piece of heavy insurance and spends most of its time just being heavy! Great when you need it though, nothing like a winch to get you out of some difficult positions!

I know Clive i can't help thinking a chain pully and a strap would get me out if i was going somewhere i might get stuck and while i'm on tarmac which is most of the time it could sit in the shed without burning my fuel .

Lol I knew the timing would make you chuckle mate. Thats not why i did it.

For me the only reason "I" would look to up the power on my truck would be a compensation measure (so i can carry more stuff)

and figured a winch would be you next step so to speak.

Personally i think you never need a winch until you need one. and when you use it you will wonder how you ever got by without on. And you dont jave to rely on others to get you out the sh1t.

Plus if I know you shayne like I think I do you like to get deep in it mate. Having the winch there give you that little bit more confidance to give it a go.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

The power up stuff was just playing to see if it could be done really remember bikes were my first love and tweaking them starts on day one of ownership . I get 100% you don't need it until you really need it and your right i would like to go all in , but i have to wonder at the "confidence" having a winch inspires , is it confidence or does it just make you attempt things you know in your heart of hearts you should avoid at all costs .

Perhaps Clive can answer that "a dozen times in 7 years" would you have got stuck in the first place a dozen times Clive had you not fitted a winch at all ?

The power up stuff was just playing to see if it could be done really remember bikes were my first love and tweaking them starts on day one of ownership . I get 100% you don't need it until you really need it and your right i would like to go all in , but i have to wonder at the "confidence" having a winch inspires , is it confidence or does it just make you attempt things you know in your heart of hearts you should avoid at all costs .

Perhaps Clive can answer that "a dozen times in 7 years" would you have got stuck in the first place a dozen times Clive had you not fitted a winch at all ?

No way! I wouldn't have gone in such places to get that stuck! I'm fearless now!:lol:

The truth is, the 80 is very capable. So much so that you think I'd never get through that, but in reality it probably will. Many times I've thought I'm not going to make this, I'll get the line out. Then after a few moments, you realize it's going to get out by itself!

Love it!:icon-biggrin:

Then after a few moments, you realize it's going to get out by itself!

Love it!:icon-biggrin:
Many the times I've thought that, my old bus never ceases to amaze me.
respect-023.gif

Back