Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator HJ61 not fully charging + rough idle

priffe

On idle, charging voltage stays at 20 volts, not enough to charge my two batteries.

At 1500 rpm it charges at 28 volts.
If I put on a load, such as headlights or fan, voltage drops.
So running around town, batteries are drained and I am stuck.

Fan belt was my first thought, but it is like new and tight.
Brushes I thought next - but they were new. Commutator nice and shiny.

Went to the diesel garage where they (in the good ol' days) used to bench test and repair stuff - but no more, alas. They just replace. Nobody repairs alternators anymore?
I can do that myself as I have another piece with the rear vacuum pump.
But what can be the fault with this? Acts up like an old DC unit.

Unrelated - my engine starts nicely with a black puff of smoke. Then it runs on five it seems, until it warms up and runs fine. Compression is good.

Can't figure these two problems out - must be getting old. :think:

Hi Priffe

Sorry cannot help with the second problem but the charging one is poss down to the Voltage regulator, poss a bit more difficult but try
HGV places as it is 24 volts !

My 2H has been through a couple of voltage regulators - I got replacements from Euro 4x4 - charging problems seem to be the VR about 85% of the time (IMO)
Have emailed TonyS's mate in Oz today as apparently Denso have an update/upgrade - electronic control. I'll post up the response when I have it.
Re the missing on start up, try some injector cleaner in the fuel, could just be a bit of carbon - but I am assuming that you have inspected round the seats of the injectors for any slight leakage when it's cold.

regards,

Thanks guys.

VR - I will look for a replacement and test. But I thought it would be in the alternator when it is rpm related?

Carbon is what I was thinking, it has just been sitting too long. Old diesel engines love to work.

Back