Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator removal ?

Paulpen

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys

Planning on removing it tomorrow to get it sent off and tested as im having battery issues and everything else seems ok.

Anyone removed on from a 2003 4.2TD and have any tips on which way to attack it ?

I did try a seach but nothing pre site changeover seems to pop up ?

Remove the 2 air ducts of the intake. Remove the AC compressor, no need to touch the AC hoses, just undo the 4 bolts and swing the compressor away. Then the alternator is "yours". It helps a lot to start by removing the air filter housing. That is if you want to see what you are doing as well, takes only 5 mins.

Ideal :)

Air duct mountings rounded off so added some time fixing thembut all in all not a bad job :)

Stripped it down and seems like the rectifier has a shorted diode and a bearing is going which has caused one of the brushes to wear the rotor.

It seems to be a Lucas alternator with no Toyota marking so possibly not the original one ?

Stripped it down and seems like the rectifier has a shorted diode and a bearing is going which has caused one of the brushes to wear the rotor.

It seems to be a Lucas alternator with no Toyota marking so possibly not the original one ?
Do you know when the Lucas one was fitted, also whats the mileage on your 100?

Not sure as ive only owned it since January and its on just uner 200,000 miles

It seems there are two options from Toyota - an 80amp and a 120amp and both are £750+

Has anyone got reccomendations on a supplier or brand as ive so far found 6 different makes with prices from £65 to £650 !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure as ive only owned it since January and its on just uner 200,000 miles

It seems there are two options from Toyota - an 80amp and a 120amp and both are £750+

Has anyone got reccomendations on a supplier or brand as ive so far found 6 different makes with prices from £65 to £650 !
My advice would be to by genuine, and yours should be a 120amp, have you got heated seats?

Yep heated everything !

I think 120A would be correct due to the amount of electrics and being a twin battery model

Genuine would be nice but very expensive and all dealers by me are shut for the forseeable future !

Yep heated everything !

I think 120A would be correct due to the amount of electrics and being a twin battery model

Genuine would be nice but very expensive and all dealers by me are shut for the forseeable future !
Rough Trax are online again, they have got an alternator that will fit yours, but it's not a Denso genuine, It's a shame the previous owner fitted a non genuine, as Toyota do an exchange service refurb Denso all with genuine parts for about £400 I believe, unless you need it in a hurry, I'd try to get hold of a used genuine 120amp Denso from eBay or a breaker then refurb that one, the genuine parts to repair are all available from places like PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Good Luck.
Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 18.52.24.png

I know what you mean about getting the Toyota one repaired as id already started doing a bit of pricing up before I removed it and then found it its a Lucas :(

I did have a look at Roughtrax and was a bit concerned that its a brand ive not heard of before in all honesty !

Back