Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An 80 with 60 lights?

Nick Shepherd

Dropping my 80 off for MOT today and I went past this white, petrol 80 that is always there but, not having had an 80 the last few times I'd never noticed the headlights on this one before.

IMG_0328-1.jpg

IMG_0327-1.jpg

Now it's obviously an import (GXL, fog light, very cool 2" receiver hitch) but does anyone know where from and what other groovy stuff it might have?

I'll stick this on Mud too, see if they have any idea.

Those are the lights they get in Australia, not sure about other markets.

Thanks Jon, that makes sense, they do get more model designations out there don't they?

I wonder if it's a member of the forum.

Yip, GXL is a common grade/spec in Aus. I think those lights were on the earlier models in the lower spec 80s. Certainly the later GXLs that I've seen have the more normal lights that we associate with 80s (the GXLs were all Aus imports).

IIRC the Australians refer to this model as the 'poverty pack'. They came with rubber mats and no carpets and no A/C, perhaps an ozzy would pipe up and clarify my post for accuracy?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dave 2000 said:
IIRC the Australians refer to this model as the 'poverty pack'. They came with rubber mats and no carpets and no A/C, perhaps an ozzy would pipe up and clarify my post for accuracy?

regards

Dave

Hi Dave The "poverty pack" was like this one below. The twin headlights were on all 80 series from 90-93? at least in Australia and the US.
The poverty pack also barn doors,split rims,no fender flares or rubber side strips and 95% of them are diesel and white.
I think they had smaller brakes on the rear or something like that.
They were mainly sold to govt depts and mining/construction companies and then sold off at auction when they were about 3 years old.
Also known as the UN model as they were the biggest buyer
It is generally referred to here as the Standard model,although Toyota call it a General model

The GXL is one of these tarted up a little and rare examples have the 1HD T(I think)

Dave were you the one that had the fuel pump issue some time back? Any results?

29634170001_large.jpg

Thanks for clarifying that Rosco, I had heard of a more 'basic' model in Australia and had seen pictures showing this model with this type of headlamp. FWIW the euro models here all had the smaller rear brakes/wheels ect untill early 93. Re the fuel pump, I still do have issue where if the front of the car is pointing upwards the idle goes from 600 rpm down to about 400. It never causes any problems other than that, the local Bosch injection dealer who also repairs (reluctantly) Toyota pumps thinks it is a governor spring, this is also the opinion of other experienced posters on mud. It seems the cost to repair is the same as reconditioning the entire pump, so unless it gets worse I will leave it for the time being. It has been like this for over a year now and still has not changed.

regards

Dave

Dave 2000 said:
Re the fuel pump, I still do have issue where if the front of the car is pointing upwards the idle goes from 600 rpm down to about 400. It never causes any problems other than that, the local Bosch injection dealer who also repairs (reluctantly) Toyota pumps thinks it is a governor spring, this is also the opinion of other experienced posters on mud. It seems the cost to repair is the same as reconditioning the entire pump, so unless it gets worse I will leave it for the time being. It has been like this for over a year now and still has not changed.

regards

Dave
Shouldnt they idle at around 750-800? Have you tried turning the idle up a little?

Another thing thing the poverty pack didnt have was the rear sliding windows.

Dave 2000 said:
Thanks for clarifying that Rosco, I had heard of a more 'basic' model in Australia and had seen pictures showing this model with this type of headlamp. FWIW the euro models here all had the smaller rear brakes/wheels ect untill early 93. Re the fuel pump, I still do have issue where if the front of the car is pointing upwards the idle goes from 600 rpm down to about 400. It never causes any problems other than that, the local Bosch injection dealer who also repairs (reluctantly) Toyota pumps thinks it is a governor spring, this is also the opinion of other experienced posters on mud. It seems the cost to repair is the same as reconditioning the entire pump, so unless it gets worse I will leave it for the time being. It has been like this for over a year now and still has not changed.

regards

Dave

I think they all do that - i sometimes pop the hand throttle out a wee bit to compensate. never had it stall but i dont like it being that low. i have wondered if it was governor spring.

Roscoe was on the right track. To clarify aussie models from 91 through to 97 (so all 80's)
are as you see there with those headlights so 90% or more of our 80's have them. The only exception is the sahara which has different lights.The GXL was not a poverty pack here it was basically the next step down from the sahara. It came out with plenty of extras such as cloth trim, floor carpets, A/C, P/S, electric windows & mirrors, some had cruise control,most had the towbar like in the pic,the 2 tailgates, one going up and one down, all had flares and other stuff I probably forgotten about. It was quite an upspec model for here. The pov pack here had sideways opening rear barn doors, vinyl floor coverings, no flares with skinny wheels, manual windows & mirrors, no or very small side protective strip and possibly only in a 5 seater although I'm not sure on that one.Possibly without aircon and most were diesel and a manual I think.

Steve

[/quote]
Shouldnt they idle at around 750-800? Have you tried turning the idle up a little?

Another thing thing the poverty pack didnt have was the rear sliding windows.[/quote]

The diesel is normally quite comfortable at 600 in particular the manual versions such as mine,the petrol models are quite a bit higher though. The problem is not the idle speed, it depends entirely on the pitch of the vehicle, if I set the hand throttle at 1200 rpm and then park facing upwards the idle will drop to 1000. All the usual stuff has been done, cleaned fuel tank and filter/fuel filter under bonnet/gravity feed direct to pump/additional electric pump ect all made no difference, it is an internal fault with the diesel pump as far as I can tell.

regards

Dave

Back