Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Annoying Vibration at 1500 RPM

Well this afternoon i finally got round to doing this. Followed Mad Miffs detailed instructions which are fantastic. The hardest part was removing the clips for the wheel arch lining, what a pain in the back side that is. Although I guess there not going to drop out. Good job I got some spare clips before hand! Thanks for that tip Richyrooney.

Will have to wait till tomorrow now to see if it's worked, fingers crossed.

[emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]
My god what a difference that has made!! Over time I'd got used to to noise but know it's so quiet it seems like a different car. Who would have thought a relatively simple thing could make such a difference. Huge thanks to the people on this forum, especially Mad Miff for getting to the source of the problem.

Woo hoo! After 6 years of wintertime rattling and checking everything from sump guards to exhausts I followed the above thread, removed the air intake pipe from the inner drivers side wing and hey presto....annoying rattle has gone! Trouble is I can now hear my slightly rumbling wheel bearing instead o_O
Big thanks to all the posts as the process of elimination works. Question is do I refit the offending pipe once I've acquired the necessary silencing materials?:confused:

Awesome Mad Miff, you are a Gentleman, thank you!

My LC4 started rattling at 1500 rpm a couple of weeks ago, now I know how to cure it. Brilliant, thank you!

Excellent write up, thank you Mad Miff. Mine has done the very annoying rattle since I bought it, spent the afternoon doing the fix and my god what a difference. It's like a new truck.

Some spare arch liner clips are a must before doing this, they are the worst part. Almost impossible to remove them, I slice the round head part off with a stanley knife and replace.
I decided to replace the foam gasket with a thicker one. It didn't look worn, just not thick enough to stop the pipe rattling in the wing hole.
20161120_140155_zpseetzpqpb.jpg
20161120_140407_zps2wxhzgxh.jpg

I ran into an issue with the bracket holding the pipe in place, the bolt seized up, I ended up bending the bracket and then shearing it off completely. Had to make a new one.
20161120_135358_zpsrnsgohiw.jpg
20161120_145555_zps3kzfpc9z.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just read this comprehensive fix; well done. I have what started as a slight vibration at low revs - mines a D4D and it is now (after some years) causing the rear half of the undertray to vibrate in sympathy (it is only there at the sort of revs described and when the engine is on low-mid throttle). Is it likely that the air intake could be causing this. It sounds like a loose exhaust heat shield but isn't. I have 240,000 km on the clock and it's a 2005 truck.

Any confirmation or otherwise is welcome.

Hi John,

My 120 had the rattle as described above, a quick recon proved the culprit to be the very same.

However, it rattled only in cold weather, never warm or hot weather. I bought the spare clips and foam rubber, then used the rubber for another job and never got round to fixing it as it was warm weather again. That was winter 2017/18.

It rattled all winter of 2018/2019 as well, which is only 2 months here, and I’ll get round to it this winter if I can find some more foam rubber, which is a real challenge in itself - that’s if it starts again. Hasn’t done so far, so it might be another 12 months before I need to address the issue!

A bit of trouble shooting would go a long way to figuring out whether that’s your problem or not. I taped my phone to the inside of the engine bay and pressed record. Then went driving slowly on a quiet road, using the stop watch app of another phone to correlate the exact time the vibration started and finished.

Good luck! Sounds like a few of these machines have this problem so go ahead and solve it, then if it’s not the problem you’ll know it’s something else, and it will save you a job in the future anyway

hi,
Does the rattle come form the transfer handle (4X4) ? try to hold it and feel .
Is it worse early in the morning when engine is cold?

If yes , Replace engine mounts .
Next is this part:
Ring, Snap (For Shift Lever Spring Sheet) Toyota
90521-49003
And if both of the above did not work , check injectors.

Had to register to this group just to thank you for this. Both me and 2 mechanics tried figuring out what this vibrating sound was.. so damn annoying aspecially since these cars often are driven at low rpms so this rattling was always present. But just took out pipe from frame, cleaned up inside and outside, put some black silikone and all was good. Also recently changed injectors, scv etc so engine is running so silent now and smooth. So thank you very much for this find!

Back