Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another 80 front axle rebuild

Jon , interesting thought .
I fitted them well coated in a water proof heavy grease but also figured that some of the CV grease would migrate down into them , there's no seal and certainly with the bushes it would migrate down as far as the splines in the end flange , I knocked the little cap of once and the resulting spread of grease across the wheel reminded me of a Land R*%er .

Agreed. I don't think they are best suited to real off road vehicles. They just aren't sealed well enough to stop the grease from washing out. I have them on the grey truck and I used salt water marine grease in there.

The old bush set up though can wear when the cvs get tired and so on. The stub wears the bottom of the bush away. Easy to knock it out and spin it round. It can be the cause of problems with the ABS system. I bet the shaft fair rattles round in there

@Chris - Unfortunately I don't have the space to keep it disassembled/immovable so it could well be that the half shafts are fine but if the work begins and it turns out they do need replacing I'm in a pickle. Plus as you say, simple job if everything comes apart ok! This approach might seem hugely frivolous but I'd rather have a spare set than be wanting a set when the work is done... plus its my father's truck so he's paying the bills :grinning:. The truck is an R reg, 24v, manual, 4.2 Turbo Diesel UK GX with ABS. Most of the parts I'm after are available from Roughtrax. I was hesitant on ordering the CVs as these aren't OEM, I was going to find out the price difference to an OEM part and then decide. I take it your very happy with your CVs from them? Thanks for the tip on the stub axle.

@Grimbo @Jon Wildsmith - I've always used Roughtrax for my Hilux, great company and always helpful. I'll stick with the standard 80s parts but thank you both for the advice.

Last edited:
OK there are some fundamentals here. You don't replace the shafts if they're a bit worn. The seals take up a considerable amount of wear. If they are worn then you repair them with Speedi-sleeves which are less than £20 and take a few minutes to install. In relation to it being immobile, it wouldn't be. You can drive around without all of that gubbins inside. It's a live axle. If it has the centre diff lock switch on the dash, you just run in 2x4.

It's your dad's coin, but shafts are ridiculously expensive. Get a second hand set if you must as there must be heaps of them around - given that they rarely ever need replacing. Even if you get a poor set, just sleeve them for pennies. Honestly you are throwing money away otherwise. I forget the list price on genuine CVs at the moment but they're somewhere over the £500 each mark

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back