Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another medal

Well impressed with that, Chas, well done mate!

It must be down to all the practice you got in Romania last month :lol:

Well after a few months of mediocre results I entered The Surrey Indoor Championships last Sunday and bugger me I came third and got Bronze medal for Senior Gents Barebow.

1.jpg

plus my score beat my existing club record for the double Portsmouth round,

this is my haul so far from outside comps;

2.jpg

and these from club comps

3.jpg

Well done Chas [emoji122] good job you've got those either side of the mirror or it would be a bit lop sided by now. [emoji4]

The collection's growing nicely Chas!

Well done mate, roll on the next... :thumbup:

Well done Chas :thumbup:

When there's talk of Archery I always think of King Harolds last words,

"careful, you could have someones eye out with that" :icon-biggrin:

Wish me luck, I'm in a competition this afternoon, it's a world record comp so there will be some stiff competition, I don't think I will be winning any medals.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good luck Chas, shoot straight and accurate

Good luck Chas. Nice tight grouping please. :)

Thanks for the wishes chaps but I'm afraid it was a dismal afternoon, for this round I usually score over 400, my best has been 474, today I didn't even get over 300, 298 to be precise, but my back was playing up and I was shooting beside the UK Barebow champion, so the pressure was on, he's a mate of mine though so it was all goodhearted.
I mentioned to him I had bought a new bow (On order, not arrived yet) but he wasn't too impressed he said scrap metal! I'll just have to prove him wrong

Thanks for the wishes chaps but I'm afraid it was a dismal afternoon, for this round I usually score over 400, my best has been 474, today I didn't even get over 300, 298 to be precise, but my back was playing up and I was shooting beside the UK Barebow champion, so the pressure was on, he's a mate of mine though so it was all goodhearted.
I mentioned to him I had bought a new bow (On order, not arrived yet) but he wasn't too impressed he said scrap metal! I'll just have to prove him wrong

Either that or by the same bow that he uses and beat him with the same kit.

Some days we're good Chas, others not, it's life's roller-coaster :lol:

Either that or by the same bow that he uses and beat him with the same kit.
I've got three risers now, that's the bit you hold, there is a limit Clive. Plus he is the UK champion (Jason Meehan) I doubt if I could beat him.

Last edited:
Get yourself some green tights and a feather in your hat Chas and you'll thrash him next time! Seriously though, well done on the bronze medal:thumbup:

No medals, but every winter most archery clubs take part in 'The Frostbite Challenge' as its name suggests it's done once a month in the cold mornings of winter, all members (well those that turn up for the shoot anyway).
Our first shoot was last Saturday and I'm pleased to say my mediocre score got me included on the barebow team.

EDIT

I forgot to mention because of a shoulder injury last winter I gave up archery this summer, last Saturday was the first round I had shot for a year, luckily the shoulder injury didn't show up but yesterday and today I'm aching all over my upper body.

Last edited:
I guess that's the difference between target shooting and hunting.

The legendary English Bowmen could pull 170 lbs. They trained from an early age and it changed their skeletal structure. This allowed the experts to identify the Archers amongst the remains on the Mary Rose.

I used to mess around with a 60 lb bow but I never took it up as a sport.

You are doing well - more power to you :thumbup:.

Bob.

I guess that's the difference between target shooting and hunting.

The legendary English Bowmen could pull 170 lbs. They trained from an early age and it changed their skeletal structure. This allowed the experts to identify the Archers amongst the remains on the Mary Rose.

I used to mess around with a 60 lb bow but I never took it up as a sport.

You are doing well - more power to you :thumbup:.

Bob.
Yes Bob for target shooting you don't need killing power. I'm not a fan of killing animals anyway, unless it's the NEED for food rather than the thrill of hunting.
The highest recorded poundage I could find were examples from the Mary Rose they were estimated by Robert Hardy at 150–160lb.
Old English Bowmen would shoot arrows differently from modern practices, instead of holding the bow steady in the left hand and pulling (drawing) the string they would do the opposite and keep the string close and push the bow away (bending the bow) which would probably have the most effect in changing their skeletal structure. :think:

Wish i could post a pic of my mates shoulder , he has been a plasterer for 30 years and while he's only a skinny guy his right shoulder looks like he landed on it after falling head first several hundred feet its so deformed . Docs have been telling him for at least a decade he has to quite or face permanent disability , but its his livelihood so he just has a few beers every night to help him sleep instead :confusion-shrug:

Back